Huge black scabby abscess in chicken wing...HELP (gross graphic pics)

Quote:
Is it at all possible to take her to a vet that will see chickens? I can't remember if you said there is one near you or not. I would at least see what it is before I culled her. I always try to find out what is going on before making any decisions like this.

Good Luck and so sorry about your sweet little hen.

Quote:
The calmest way I've seen a chicken culled is by hanging it upside down and slitting the throat. It bleeds out in 20-30 seconds and doesn't struggle, plus you don't get the traumatic dead-chicken-flapping-around scene. The only problem with this method is that you don't want any other chickens to come into contact with the blood...

I'm sorry you are putting her sown but I think that is the best thing to do.

Most vets will usually put an animal down no matter what it is. They don't want to see an animal suffer no matter what kind of critter it is.

Most vets unless you come across one who charges $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for an office visit because they are trying to buy their own island or country.

My vet charges around $10.00

So Sorry.

I'm sorry also and am thinking about you
hugs.gif

thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind words. I hope you don't feel upset with me when you hear what we've done.

I'm still in turmoil about what to do with Gertrude. Here's the story, for better or for worse:
the "tumor" was getting worse every day and it smelled like that disgusting oily rotisserrie chicken smell from some bad Walmart chicken (we had one once that had us sick all night long). That's what it smelled like. Just bad flesh and greasey smelling, if that can have a smell. Nothing seemed to be affecting it and the tumor really seemed to have affected the whole wing and 2nd joint so that it was stiff and her wing couldn't bend. I decided to do some aggressive cutting of the tumor and...you guessed it...nicked a vessel. She was spraying blood and I freaked out and called my husband over to put her down so she wouldn't have a slow death. Then, at the last second, i just couldn't have him put her down. This is the part I'm ashamed of and my greatest moment of weakness. I was crying and I just couldn't tell him to put her down. In retrospect, I should have just had the courage to have him put her down. All I could think was that I wanted to save her but that she might bleed out and that the tumor was killing her. So I asked him, and I'm not sure why I thought this made sense, to cut off her wing. And he did. And she sprayed blood and we put pressure on it and bandaged it up. And two minutes later she was walking, eating, and drinking. it's about a week later and she is acting so normal that it blows my mind. That horrible "greasey" smell is gone. We rinse it off everyday and put iodine, neosporine and blu-kote on it. She tears off the gauze and bandage so she's gone without for a couple of days. It has scabbed over and looks as healthy as possible. It does actually look bad; the bone is sticking out farther than the skin b/c we just thought about getting her to stop bleeding & not super-glueing the skin around the bone. But, she eats a whole 2 cups of feed everyday and drinks more than 2 quarts of water with antibiotics. She eats scratch, she eats worms, she jumps around. She's actually getting more energy and more like her old self instead of completely docile.

I realize that what I chose to do is not conservative and may not be in her best interest. I realize it may offend some people that this is what we did. I hope you're not upset because all I could think of at the time was that I wanted her live and, in my mind, that meant taking the long shot. Please, no reprimands or scolding because I take these things to heart deeply. My only motivation was giving Gertrude the best chance to live. Also, I should say, that my husband is morally against spending big $$ on animals that should be spent on our family and children. The deal for my having chickens was that they would never incur expensive vet bills. And, ultimately, I agree. So, the suggestion that I take her to a vet, while it would have been my preference, would have broken my agreement with my husband and caused serious marital friction. I feel guilty that, inadvertently, we have been cruel to Gertrude. That is what I least wanted. So, please, before you post any angry words, understand that I tried to give Gertrude a fighting chance and my husband helped and he hates touching the chickens so it was a sacrifice for him too.

So, now, Gertrude is strong and wants to live her chicken life. I don't know if she has internal tumors. Everyday I go out and wonder if I shouldn't have just put her down. The second nodule is the same, not getting larger or anything. I wonder if she's somehow developed resistance to the virus and won't battle it anymore. And I wonder if she might die tomorrow despite all we've put her through. I don't know what I should have done. All I know is that she is missing a wing now and acts like any other normal chicken. Now I have to decide what to do with her. She has been in a "recovery" pen separate from the other chickens to keep them away from her shedding virus. How long should I keep this up? What do I do? She wants to be with the other chickens. Whenever she gets away from me, she runs to the coop right away. And whenever I let the other chickens out, she talks to them and calls out to them. I want to let her live a "normal" chicken life because she wants it so badly! She's such a sweet chicken.

What would you do if you had a chicken with a tumor that had been eating the wing & that seemed like it was Marek's. And then seemed miraculously better. Would you still cull her? Would you let her join the other chickens? Is it pretty sure that it was Marek's?

Quote:
All I can say is she is one tough cookie, you made the decision not to cull and sounds like you made the right one for you and her, it's not up to us to judge you or tell you what to do, we just give suggestions based on what you told us. I am happy she is doing so well. Congratulations!!! there are alot of chickens living with handicaps and doing fine so all the best to you and Gertrude. I wouldn't put her out with the others permanently till she is completely healed, but maybe let her out with them when you can supervise. Seems to me the others have all be exposed to Mareks if thats what is was and your not seeing anyone else with symptoms? I'd say go for it. But you have to make the best decision for your flock you see them and know them better than we do. Keep us updated on how she is and what is going on. Happy Gertrude made it through.

Last edited:
I was always of the opinion that Gertrude should have every chance in the world to live the happy chicken life she loves so much! The fact that she has always been in such bright spirits and eating/drinking well is just further proof that you've done everything right. I was wanting to ask for updates but I was afraid you had to put her down and didn't want to bring up a painful subject - but know that I've had Gertrude on my mind!

If she were suffering it would be different but she's always been a fighter and she's not in any pain or else you'd see it through changes in eating and her behavior.

It was a crazy spontaneous move to amputate it right then but a good one!! And a brave one!! I'm really chicken (aah, no pun intended!) when it comes to blood and especially when it comes to big life-or-death decisions.
hide.gif

In the end I think you came out much better than if you had taken her to a vet. They would have most likely wanted to put her down and that would be such a shame. Yes, she may have internal tumors but you know, they aren't bothering her so I wouldn't worry! Tomorrow's not promised to any of us and I'd let Miss Gertrude enjoy as many happy days as she is meant to have.
smile.png

I agree with what others have said - if the other chickens aren't showing symptoms I'd go ahead and let her return to her flock. Only thing I wonder about is that bone sticking out. Will skin eventually cover it? I have no clue about this sort of thing! I'd be concerned about other chickens bothering the bone.. what are your thoughts about that? I imagine you could keep it wrapped and just go from there.

Back
Top Bottom