Huge coyote problem!

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I'm about to call the DNR to see of they can help me.

I have a whole pack of coyotes now. I thought it was just one lone coyote, but I was wrong. Last night the coyotes woke me up at 1:30am with their calls. I got up, checked my freshly hatched babies in the brooder, checked the incubator heat and humidity levels with my eggs on lockdown.

At 2am I saw 3 coyotes in my backyard looking for food. The night time is not my problem. I can bet you there are more then the 3 I saw with my own eyes.

During the midday I've seen them walk across the street to the neighbors coop 3 days in a row over a month ago. I guess they are here to stay.

We will not hunt them ourselves, but I'm praying the DNR or animal control will help us in some way. We lost one hen to the coyotes and almost a second.

I've heard coyotes do in fact go after people and I worry for my children, especially if rabid. We had a rabid skunk roaming during the day not too long ago.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

I've been keeping my flock in the run unless I'm outside with my 2 big guard dogs. Hopefully I will not have any further fatalities. Next year we are fencing our property, so hopefully this might help keep them out of our yard.

These coyotes with the roaming dogs are my worst predator nightmare.

Last edited:
I understand not wanting to hunt them, but until you get help I'd definately keep a rifle handy to ensure the safety of your kids and don't forget your dogs, Coyote packs can be very dangerous and will gang up on dogs. Good luck and hope you get the help from the DNR or animal control.

Thanks. I know, I'm worried about my dogs, but I'm not quite sure how brave coyotes are during the day.

We are loaded with wild bunnies here and I'm sure they are feeding on them. All our cats have not been touched either.

If you got 2 big guard dogs why don't you let them guard?

Never had a lick a problems from yotes because my dogs claim this territory and the yotes know it and stay away

That's very scary. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen. You may want to keep your cats inside for now. Coyotes will kill and eat cats. Not sure what DNR is, but if it's like a regional trapper or something like that, i would definitely get some help on board.

If you got 2 big guard dogs why don't you let them guard?

Never had a lick a problems from yotes because my dogs claim this territory and the yotes know it and stay away
My dogs guard people too.:( It's a huge liability biting strange people. We have to watch them every second outside. Once we get the fence, we will have more freedom of letting them outside.

Back
Top Bottom