Huge ear

You may want to try lancing to see if you get pus or blood.
Could be ear canker, but that's usually in the ear canal.

The inside of her beak is clear of lesions or pasty material right?
I lanced and got blood. Yes her beak is clear, her nasal passages are clear, her eyes are bright, her ear canal is clear and clean. I now feel like king of the jerks for lancing and getting nothing out of it🤦‍♀️ Betadine rinse and I’m looking at hitting her with a shot of pen g or should I go with topical ointment?

I lanced and got blood. Yes her beak is clear, her nasal passages are clear, her eyes are bright, her ear canal is clear and clean. I now feel like king of the jerks for lancing and getting nothing out of it🤦‍♀️ Betadine rinse and I’m looking at hitting her with a shot of pen g or should I go with topical ointment?
If you only expressed blood it might be a hematoma. Ears are common spots, lots of capillaries that can burst and blood has nowhere to go. If thats it, keep it clean with topical and it should heal up. May end up looking bumpy.

If you only expressed blood it might be a hematoma. Ears are common spots, lots of capillaries that can burst and blood has nowhere to go. If thats it, keep it clean with topical and it should heal up. May end up looking bumpy.
I’ve never had one have this issue, thanks for the info! I just want healthy, so as long as she’s healthy I’m good with lumpy 🙂

Most swollen ears are due to infection or trauma. Could she have scratched her ear or been pecked. Can you check her for mites and lice? If there is serum leaking, that may be from the trauma or swelling. If infection inside the ear is suspected, the thread below may help. Look at @dawg53 ‘s post 5 in this thread, and consider doing that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gunky-ears.630778/

Back
Top Bottom