huge floppy comb

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
we are watching natgeo right now and there is this pirate thing on. One of the pirates just walked up to this guy while holding a chicken. The chicken was white with this huge red comb that flopped over and completely hid it's face. I wish I could have gotten a photo but my camera battery is charging. Does anyone have a guess as to what breed it was?

I say minorca. They come in black, buff, and white.

chicken5.jpg

cool thanks. I couldn't really see the legs as the pirate was holding (I am guessing) her and the shot was focused more on the pirate talking to this other guy rather then the chicken. It was really floppy like the minorca.

Now how likely is it that Blackbeard had either of these breeds on his ship? (I hate it when historical programming gets things wrong even if it is a small detail)

I like how it kinda looks like a hat.

Quote:
No... not sure per say. But it is listed as a Minorca and pic is from a poultry show in UK.
I am not chicken ID expert!
I DO know that the floppy comb in hens is a breed standard and requirement for Minorcas according to the book I have though.

That isn't a Black Minorca
roll.png
We have Black Minorca's leghorns in about every color they come in and Andy's..guess you could say we like our white egg layers. White Minorca's are also very rare so if it was white with a floppy comb it was without a doubt a white leghorn..very common.I'm of the idea why would they search high and low for a rare chicken when most people watching a movie/tv. wouldn't know a leghorn from a JG
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom