Do I have an EE pullet??

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
Hello! :frow

I am inserting pics here of two hatchmates. They were hatched on 4/19 and are from the same hen and same rooster. Mama is a White Leghorn and Daddy is an Ameraucana.
Fairly certain that the guy on the left with the hybrid walnut/pea comb is a definite ROO. He started showing roo characteristics almost immediately! Within 5 days his comb was already blushing bright pink/red and it's just gotten progressively bigger and brighter since.
The chicken in question is on the right (and the solo bird in a few other photos). Do you think we can safely assume she is in fact a SHE based on how she compares to her hatchmate? Much smaller waddles. Pinkish waddles and comb, but MUCH less so. She is only marginally smaller than the roo, though.

I tried getting decent pics of her behind, but she's not real cooperative.
Just wondering what you all think.
Thanks so much!
EE.jpg

Attachments

• EE9.jpg
    EE9.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 9
  • EE8.jpg
    EE8.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 10
  • EE7.jpg
    EE7.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 10
  • EE6.jpg
    EE6.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 9
  • EE5.jpg
    EE5.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 10
  • EE4.jpg
    EE4.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 10
  • EE3.jpg
    EE3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 10
  • EE2.jpg
    EE2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 11
Do you have pictures of the parents? Unless you have a rose comb leghorn, those two breeds shouldn’t be able to produce a chick with a rose comb.

Do you have pictures of the parents? Unless you have a rose comb leghorn, those two breeds shouldn’t be able to produce a chick with a rose comb.
I do not. But I do know the breeds of the parents (who are not my chickens). I went over parentage and lineage with another member here on BYC and we came to the conclusion it is a hybrid comb walnut and peacomb. I am nowhere near versed enough to know the ins and outs of chicken genetics and comb variables as a result, but the person who helped me with it last time seemed to be very knowledgeable in the topic ((shrug)). Maybe that person will see this post and be able to step in.

I do not. But I do know the breeds of the parents (who are not my chickens). I went over parentage and lineage with another member here on BYC and we came to the conclusion it is a hybrid comb walnut and peacomb. I am nowhere near versed enough to know the ins and outs of chicken genetics and comb variables as a result, but the person who helped me with it last time seemed to be very knowledgeable in the topic ((shrug)). Maybe that person will see this post and be able to step in.
I found the post and I was one of the commenters on the thread. The other commenters seemed to agree that the father is likely an Easter egger rather than an ameraucana.

I found the post and I was one of the commenters on the thread. The other commenters seemed to agree that the father is likely an Easter egger rather than an ameraucan
Oh good! Hmm perhaps the woman THINKS she has an Ameraucana. I know people tend to use Easter Egger/Ameraucana/Americana (wrongly) interchabeably. I do know that some breeds of White Leghorns can have rose comb. I'm not sure about it all and I'm really not too worried about it, I'm just interested in knowing whether the pretty bird on the right is in fact a pullet. It would be very rewarding having hatched at least ONE female (hopefully two, I'll post pics of the other bird in question as soon as my kids get them for me).
Thanks for your input :)

Now, this one baffles me...
Again, hatchmates from the same parents. The one in question this time is the bird in the middle (and on left or back in pictures with only two birds). Comb and waddles are bigger and blushier than the one we think is a hen (pictured right), but still smaller and less blushy red than the definite roo. What say you all...can we be hopeful for TWO pullets out of this hatch??

Attachments

• All.jpg
    All.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 6
  • All2.jpg
    All2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
  • All3.jpg
    All3.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 5
  • All4.jpg
    All4.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 6
  • All5.jpg
    All5.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 8
Now, this one baffles me...
Again, hatchmates from the same parents. The one in question this time is the bird in the middle (and on left or back in pictures with only two birds). Comb and waddles are bigger and blushier than the one we think is a hen (pictured right), but still smaller and less blushy red than the definite roo. What say you all...can we be hopeful for TWO pullets out of this hatch??
Looks like they’re possibly pullets, but they’re too young to be sure

Back
Top Bottom