Huge Leg Growths - Updated pics

Quote:
(The following IF this is a bad case of scaley leg mite) With encrustations like that (if I have correctly assessed >the photos are not that good) systemic ivomec will not "get" to the parasites... you need to apply the ivomec Eprinexc or ivermectin (.2%) topically (to the areas with encrustation)...
What I would do is to soak the legs in epsom ... five minutes (just let him stand in it) ... then take a new paint brush or soft toothbrush and scrub them . Then rinse off (let air dry)and spray on the ivermectin or ivomec Eprinex... let it soak in. then dip his legs in baby oil. Repeat the epsom salt soak after 24 hours (and scrub) and do that daily thereafter (including the dip in baby oil) ... apply the ivermectin or ivomec Eprinex again in three days time....wait 24 hours then the epsom salt etc.... The encrustations should be able to be removed now ... there may be no more scales and the skin may be raw...when you see this then use a disinfectant to clean like hibiclens and apply aloe vera and then baby oil on top of that .

Last edited:
Thanks, dlhunicorn, I'm glad you weighed in on this.

I bought some Ivomec Eprinex and rubbed it on, plus I slathered him with Vaseline with tea tree oil mixed in.

Cynthia, I thought about the tea tree oil as I was getting ready to go up to the run. I stood there with it in my hand and seriously wondered how wise it would be to put it on straight.

I bought a big tub of vaseline, and put a tablespoon of tea tree oil into it and mixed it well.

He's become very wary of me, LOL. He knows when he sees me coming with the pan of scratch that I've got something in mind for him.

He cannot resist the scratch, tho', and that's how I get a hold of him. I swear he looks at me like, "Woman, please!"

I'll post some progress pictures if we see any progress with the growths. Hopefully I'll see some progress by Tuesday. My husband is off Tuesday and can help me get some real pictures with the digital. I've been taking the pictures one-handed with my cell phone, hence the poor quality.

Thanks everyone-
Em

wow Im relatively new to chickens and I thought that their legs were meant to look like that,
sickbyc.gif
now I have to go vase all my chickens and put that stuff on them..thanks for posting and thanks for all the answers.
thumbsup.gif

I'd love to know how the treatment worked on this fella- what was the result? What worked best, and do you have nay shots of what you were able to accomplish?

Thanks!

Hi Em! I just got a rooster and some hens and he has an awful infestation too, his scales are almost horizontal and lifted so far from his leg. How did your rooster turn out? Did his legs end up being permanently disfigured? One of the hens has some really weird growths similar to your rooster. They're up past her knees closer to where her feathers are starting.

Back
Top Bottom