Huge Mistake-HELP!

As he is sleeping in the house tonight do yall think its ok to take up his food at like 9:00? So that he keeps a decent bed overnight? He will still have water.

How old is he? I was slightly scolded one night by another byc member when I took my three week old chicks food away for the night.. I thought she was sick, but her crop was full :lol I was told that they need 24/7 access to food while still young in case he wakes up in a couple hours hungry. I would leave it in, and that's what I was told...

Quote:
That's baloney, when they are with the hens they don't get up during the night to eat and drink. The only reason why they might need food during the night is because of the light; they won't sleep all night because the light will make them think it is daytime, so they need something to do.
I don't see any reason why you can't take the food away during the night, I have a 4 week old pekin that comes inside every night, then goes back outside in the morning. He doesn't have food or water in his box inside, he gets all he needs when he is outside.
smile.png

Hopefully he will be ok.I thought the leg banding was a good idea a few years ago.I had banded some silkie's for keeping for breeding.I thought once I had sold all of the first run of chick's I had taken that size leg band's Off.Baaaaaa No I noticed one of my roo's limping and had swollen foot.The band had actualy embedded into his leg'.It took a bit getting it out but lucklily he recouped nicely.I bought geese from Mc Murraya couple year's ago and they had banded the gander's.I didn't bother worrying about it after that mess with the silk's and cut them off within the first week.Just keep the leg clean and some Anti's on it Im sure he will do just fine.

Quote:
That's baloney, when they are with the hens they don't get up during the night to eat and drink. The only reason why they might need food during the night is because of the light; they won't sleep all night because the light will make them think it is daytime, so they need something to do.
I don't see any reason why you can't take the food away during the night, I have a 4 week old pekin that comes inside every night, then goes back outside in the morning. He doesn't have food or water in his box inside, he gets all he needs when he is outside.
smile.png

That makes sense... I was even turning her light off at night and she was fine. She wasn't getting cold, I live in Hawaii and she was sleeping by a window at that time, she's been "free-range" in the house now for over a month and is perfectly fine. She roosts on the half wall next to the front door now.. Well I feel like a dope, first I worried because I didn't know what a crop was and then I felt horrible for keeping her food from her.. Jeez... Live and learn, she's still alive so I guess I'm doing something right
lol.png

If it helps, I'll admit I did the very same thing. I thought they were spiral bands that would expand and didn't realize until they were 2-3 weeks old and one started limping. All had indented legs, a few were swollen, the worst was bleeding a bit.

I felt awful too, and stupid for it being my fault. I removed the bands, cleaned them up, and put neosporin on the bleeding one. I didn't separate because they are very "flock-ish" since I had quite a few and it would have stressed him more in my case. Kept them clean as possible. And within 3 days or so there was no sign of trouble with any of them. Baby geese are, thankfully, very resilient.
smile.png

I know how you feel, but they will be fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom