Human urine a debate to be had

Dan nich

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I know this topic has been discussed and mixed reviews, but does human urine repel predators? I know that when I was younger my grandfather told me that saving urine in a apple juice container would keep animals out of the garden ! He told me women’s pee wouldn’t work but men’s will! I have to say at 39 years old and using this detergent it’s worked ! My garden never gets invaded by deer and I live next to soy and corn fields and a hunting farm for white tail in west Kentucky near Illinois I also rarely see possums near my place, maybe it’s the urine being stored/combo of us always working in yard and garden and chicken coop being by house? But some success is a victory and beside being gross it doesn’t hurt

I've never tested it - being a girl and completely useless in this regard - but I thought that was a survival thing that everyone knew, that it's like marking your territory and most predators will respect it.

It might have been in a movie I watched as a kid.

Does not work at all with Red Fox or Raccoon. Even sexually competent dog urine by itself does not work unless dogs can back it up with force. Red Fox and dogs constantly try to pee on each others scent marks. Raccoons appear to make a point of checking locations with human scent.

I am male last time I checked.

Does not work at all with Red Fox or Raccoon. Even sexually competent dog urine by itself does not work unless dogs can back it up with force. Red Fox and dogs constantly try to pee on each others scent marks. Raccoons appear to make a point of checking locations with human scent.

I am male last time I checked.
In today world maybe your a female??

I often heard it said that predators are savvy enough to figure things out, but grazing animals often won't take the risk. We didn't use urine as kids around the garden, but you can put your hair from home haircuts (which are also making a comeback lol) into women's nylon stockings and hang those around the garden. This is probably the preferred method since you're not putting body fluids around stuff you plan to eat, and you can hang the stocking out of sight so it's not an eye sore.

I often heard it said that predators are savvy enough to figure things out, but grazing animals often won't take the risk. We didn't use urine as kids around the garden, but you can put your hair from home haircuts (which are also making a comeback lol) into women's nylon stockings and hang those around the garden. This is probably the preferred method since you're not putting body fluids around stuff you plan to eat, and you can hang the stocking out of sight so it's not an eye sore.
That’s a idea I’m very pro active of hitting possums in the road near house I work night shift I don’t enjoy killing but my chickens are my kids in a way ! They are a major investment and sustainable food source in these times! I am buying traps today for I have a baby weasel near by I laid fresh urine yesterday and started a brush fire in my pile I keep hay and use saw dust so I’m hoping I can drive him away! I have 2 feral barn cats I also don’t bother

That’s a idea I’m very pro active of hitting possums in the road near house I work night shift I don’t enjoy killing but my chickens are my kids in a way ! They are a major investment and sustainable food source in these times! I am buying traps today for I have a baby weasel near by I laid fresh urine yesterday and started a brush fire in my pile I keep hay and use saw dust so I’m hoping I can drive him away! I have 2 feral barn cats I also don’t bother

Stay diligent! Good luck to you. It's a real pain keeping predators out. I'm in a more residential area, so our worries are feral cats above all else. But it's a pain either way.

I work in a prison and hunt deer I guess most would call me a redneck or country boy but when I loose a chicken or rabbit I get depressed and see my animals go through changes! Yes I breed rabbits for the harvest and never eat my chickens but if need arises I would! But dang it no predators gonna get my birds

Back
Top Bottom