Human way to cull

Quote:
My vet gave me 3 choices about a week ago with her, choice one was to ethanize her, choice two keep working with her she may pull out of it but will be a carrier the rest of her life or choice 3 keep working with her until she passes on her own. I have choosen choice two but now i see she has gone down hill sooo bad, there's just no choice but choice one only we were going to do it ourselves.. I personally can't but my husband doesn't have a problem in doing it.

Quote:
My vet gave me 3 choices about a week ago with her, choice one was to ethanize her, choice two keep working with her she may pull out of it but will be a carrier the rest of her life or choice 3 keep working with her until she passes on her own. I have choosen choice two but now i see she has gone down hill sooo bad, there's just no choice but choice one only we were going to do it ourselves.. I personally can't but my husband doesn't have a problem in doing it.

My wife couldn't cull either. For me it wasn't so bad. It was a really mean roo that kept attacking my 3 kids. So it was a no brainer for me to do it. But what I was asking was did your vet recommend a way for you to cull the bird?

Quote:
thought about the gun but we don't want it to get messy because I'm afraid the disease could get in the yard and infect the rest of my chickens, i don't know a whole lot about this disease but I have read it's very contagious. We plan on burn the body once it's over..

Speaking of which, are your other birds vaccinated? Even if they are though, I'd highly recommend a major decontamination of your coop area (there are a bunch of threads via the search tool for how to do it).

Mareks is very nasty.

I'm having my doubts with vaccinations, but I had gotten this chicken about a month and half ago, this saturday will be 1 month and 3 weeks. I kept her separated from the others because that is the RULE of thumb for at least a month. After 4 days of having her, she lost total control of one leg and from there she has just gotten worst and worst. She's been isolated since day one, I have spoken with the person that I got the silkie from and she has informed me this silkie has had it's vaccinations. HOWEVER, my chicken doctor tells me it does not matter, if it was mixed wrong or not used within an hour of being mixed it will not be affective on chickens. At the present time my other 70 chickens aren't showing any signs THANK GOD......

Quote:

My wife couldn't cull either. For me it wasn't so bad. It was a really mean roo that kept attacking my 3 kids. So it was a no brainer for me to do it. But what I was asking was did your vet recommend a way for you to cull the bird?

Never really asked him to tell you the truth, the only suggestion was to euthanize her and that was suggested about a week ago. But after talking with him that day, he was more convincing to keep trying see if I get her to pull through..and that's where we are today. i guess I could call him tomorrow to ask what is the best way. Because I surely don't want to risk anything with my other chickens..

so from what I read in this article http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease it could be possible that your flock may be infected, what measures could be taken to prevent them from developing the syptoms?
idunno.gif

So this bird has never been in with your other birds? If so, have you been careful not to be a carrier yourself and infect the others. I have heard that it can be transferred via shoes.

it sounds bad but just get your husband to hold her under his arm and then get a good grip and and snap the neck. It would be instant and no blood. Sucks it has to be done no matter which way you choose sorry.

Quote:
That will work but you have to do it quick and hard enough to separate the spinal cord. But if you do it too hard you can separate the head from the body and still end up with a mess.

Back
Top Bottom