Humane kill with pellet or bb gun

Squishychicken

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
North carolina
So I've thinking about diffrent ways I could kill my cornish. This batch is extremely huge. Killing cone isn't gonna be an option because they are so broad. Hatchet I'd be worried about missing. Slitting the jugular holding the bird in my lap is an option I just feel like a gun would be easier.

Using a pellet gun or bb gun pumped 10-15 times but if need to hit the right spot so it penetrates and kills instantly. Shooting point blank could work for this.
.410 or. 22 could also work.
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences and I'm wonderin what's yalls are.

I wouldn't because so much can happen. Chickens don't sit still, and you want to bleed it out.

If you need a bigger cone use a safety cone. The bigger ones are big enough for a big cornish x. Or you could always use some bailing twine and just hang them by their legs from a tree branch.

You can make a cone from some old tin laying around. Cut it and rivet it in the size you need.

I would find something to make a bigger kill cone. There are several ideas out there that you could use. I think you'd stress the birds out like crazy trying to shoot them and the results can be tough meat. Kill cones are the best way I have seen and it makes things much easier.

I'm sure more ideas will come your way. There's a broomstick method too but I have never tried it.

I would find something to make a bigger kill cone. There are several ideas out there that you could use. I think you'd stress the birds out like crazy trying to shoot them and the results can be tough meat. Kill cones are the best way I have seen and it makes things much easier.

I'm sure more ideas will come your way. There's a broomstick method too but I have never tried it.

If it's anything like my grandmothers broomstick method it hurts. Leaves a nice welt across the butt cheeks. :D

Don't do that. Get a cord and put a loop in it. Nail one end of cord to a board.
Loop Slip knot over the head and pull. With a good pair of cooking
/meat scissor cut the head off above the cord. Chicken will try to run with no head. My great grandpa would let the headless chicken run around the yard to get us grandkids to squealing. Grandma did not find that funny at all. We would sneak a grin at the supper table that night when she wasn't looking.

So I've thinking about diffrent ways I could kill my cornish. This batch is extremely huge. Killing cone isn't gonna be an option because they are so broad. Hatchet I'd be worried about missing. Slitting the jugular holding the bird in my lap is an option I just feel like a gun would be easier.
Using a pellet gun or bb gun pumped 10-15 times but if need to hit the right spot so it penetrates and kills instantly. Shooting point blank could work for this.
.410 or. 22 could also work.
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences and I'm wonderin what's yalls are.

Remember you have solicited opinions. When it comes to animal cruelty I have strong ones.

This idea is about half a bubble off plumb. Processing time should not be a time to be cruel. This is animal cruelty at one of its worse moments that i.have read on this forum. Buy a large traffic cone. Trim the base off so it can be nailed to.a tree. Check for fit, the pointy end may need to be trimmed so the head comes out that end.

I process heritage cornish in this manner. Your cornish xrocks aren't broader or have a greater depth of body than my heritage cornish.

Back
Top Bottom