Humans getting sick from chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ginmary, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:46 PM.

1. Ginmary

Ginmary Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Jackson, NJ
    My apologies for a yuckie post. Can someone get diarrhea from cleaning chicken poop?

2. pwiker

pwiker Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Lancaster, PA
    Getting a disease from a chicken is extremely rare, however, ingesting chicken poop could introduce bacteria that could make you temporarily ... icky. If you did not ingest it, your cause is likely something else.

It should pass. :) I suppose you could become tolerant if you ingested it regularly.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Umm, that's why we wash our hands after handling animals or their feces. Yes, you can get diarrhea if you do not use recognized sanitation practices.

4. Ginmary

Ginmary Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Jackson, NJ
    It should pass. :) I suppose you could become tolerant if you ingested it regularly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think I’ll try to remain intolerant and get my nourishment elsewhere! :barnie

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If you clean the coop and then don't wash up well and then eat some food there is a chance of transmitting bacteria and/or parasites into your own system. It's not a bad idea to wear a dust mask when cleaning the coop as lots of things become airborne as well.

6. chickenMamee

chickenMamee Songster

Aug 28, 2015
    Hernando, MS
    Agree! That’s why my hands look so bad. I wash well anytime I touch the coop or areas that my chickens frequent.

7. Ginmary

Ginmary Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Jackson, NJ
    :sickThanks all. I always try my best to wash well. I may just have a human type bug but the question entered my mind so I figured I’d ask. I guess I won’t have to be wormed!

Granny Hatchet likes this.
  8. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Ginmary, thought has crossed my mind a few times too. Its just as possible to get Ecoli from a human . you just cant see microscopic poop. Theres also salmonella and yup, even worms. I try my best to not dwell on it because its so very rare. I keep telling myself I am going to leave disinfecting wipes out by the coop but I aint done it yet. I pick up an egg w/ poop on it and stick it in the basket then I smoke a cigarette . same ol hands unwashed. yuck

Ginmary likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: