1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity and air sac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 16, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Does the humidity affect the air sac in an egg? I read something on a posted that sounded as if it does. If so, in what way?

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

As the egg ages the air sack gets bigger with less hum, more hum can slow THAT down so the eggs doesnt lose moister so fast, and it keepS the air sack smaller.

Hope that makes sense to you..

cHARLIE

3. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere if the humidity is too high, the air sac get water in it and the chick can drown when it tries to hatch. I am going to be hatching for the first time next week. I am setting the eggs monday or tuesday, so I have been reading up on hatching all week.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    An egg needs to loose a certain amount of moisture during incubation. As it does so the Air cell increases. 3 days before hatch the Air Cell should take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the egg. That gives the chick a good size area to pip into and get a breath before pipping the shell, but still be a very good size to hatch.

If incubated too dry the air cell will be larger and the chick may be too small to hatch properly.

If incubated with too high a humidity the air cell will stay small. This makes it more difficult for the chick to pip into the air cell before hatching. Even high humity and the chick can be sticky and won't dry properly if it is able to hatch at all. Way to much humidity can accumilate in the air cell and fill it with fluid. So, when the chick pips into the aircell for it's first breath, it drowns.

Matt

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have some d'uccle eggs that I am worried about as their air cells seem rather large [​IMG] They are in there and moving around, so I will just have to wait and see.

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Mine seem to be small. And on three eggs, I dont see the air sac at ALL anymore. I am on day 18.

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    what kind of incubator do you have? If the humidity is too high they'll drown which sounds awful. I had an LG and used the dry hatch method and had a perfect hatch. So some had air sacs and now they don't?! That doesn't sound good.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Hovabator still air. My hydrometer has read in the forties the entire time. Only been adding a couple of tablespoons every 5 days or so.

I'm about to go candle here in a bit, then take out the turner. I'll report back when I'm done, with pictures!

9. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    yote
    no air cell at day 18 sounds like rotten eggs to me

10. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm sorry, I must have candled them wrong. I just did before moving them out of turner, and they're all fine with air sacs, see my other post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by