Humidity and air sac

As the egg ages the air sack gets bigger with less hum, more hum can slow THAT down so the eggs doesnt lose moister so fast, and it keepS the air sack smaller.

Hope that makes sense to you..

cHARLIE

I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere if the humidity is too high, the air sac get water in it and the chick can drown when it tries to hatch. I am going to be hatching for the first time next week. I am setting the eggs monday or tuesday, so I have been reading up on hatching all week.

An egg needs to loose a certain amount of moisture during incubation. As it does so the Air cell increases. 3 days before hatch the Air Cell should take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the egg. That gives the chick a good size area to pip into and get a breath before pipping the shell, but still be a very good size to hatch.

If incubated too dry the air cell will be larger and the chick may be too small to hatch properly.

If incubated with too high a humidity the air cell will stay small. This makes it more difficult for the chick to pip into the air cell before hatching. Even high humity and the chick can be sticky and won't dry properly if it is able to hatch at all. Way to much humidity can accumilate in the air cell and fill it with fluid. So, when the chick pips into the aircell for it's first breath, it drowns.

Matt

I have some d'uccle eggs that I am worried about as their air cells seem rather large
sad.png
They are in there and moving around, so I will just have to wait and see.

what kind of incubator do you have? If the humidity is too high they'll drown which sounds awful. I had an LG and used the dry hatch method and had a perfect hatch. So some had air sacs and now they don't?! That doesn't sound good.

Hovabator still air. My hydrometer has read in the forties the entire time. Only been adding a couple of tablespoons every 5 days or so.

I'm about to go candle here in a bit, then take out the turner. I'll report back when I'm done, with pictures!

Back
Top Bottom