Humidity during incubation of duck eggs.

Jmiller89

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
My plan was to set some Duck eggs today but over the weekend I’ve been having issues getting a stable humidity in the incubator. Incubator is in my boiler room as I thought this might be a way to help keep the temp at a good level. But the humidity with a dry incubator was around 18%. I added water to the tray and it went to 58% for most of the day but jumped to 78% for the night and stayed there this morning. I’m thinking of moving the incubator to my garage where I incubated guineas dry at 40-55% humidity. Is that a good humidity for duck eggs? I’m getting conflicting info online about it. Also should I spray the eggs starting on day 10? TIA

Thank you for the reply. I ended up putting little medicine cups of water in this incubator as the humidity was in the 30s at best. Now I have it between 45-55 which I’m much happier with. I will try the misting/cooling schedule you suggested. Thank you again!

I'm a fan of dry incubation, so I'd be starting closer to the 40% and adjusting humidity (as needed) based on how the air cells look. I also follow Pete55's misting and cooling schedule for waterfowl eggs and have been pleased with the results.

Best of luck with your hatch!
Thank you for the reply. I ended up putting little medicine cups of water in this incubator as the humidity was in the 30s at best. Now I have it between 45-55 which I’m much happier with. I will try the misting/cooling schedule you suggested. Thank you again!

@Jmiller89 I had to put an open container of water in mine to get the humidity over 50% for my geese and duck eggs.

@FoodFreedomNow I looked for information regarding dry incubation for waterfowl, but wasn't able to find much so I wasn't sure it would be appropriate for eggs that needed higher humidity. Have you done this before?.....Edited...I just re-read the incubation guide and saw the paragraph addressing dry incubation! :)

Last edited:
@Jmiller89 I had to put an open container of water in mine to get the humidity over 50% for my geese and duck eggs.

@FoodFreedomNow I looked for information regarding dry incubation for waterfowl, but wasn't able to find much so I wasn't sure it would be appropriate for eggs that needed higher humidity. Have you done this before?
Yes, I incubate my waterfowl eggs each year at the humidity I noted. This works for me, in my region, with my equipment, for duck and goose eggs. I verify that the humidity is appropriate by monitoring the air cells (or weight, but usually the air cell size at this point) periodically and adjusting the humidity if needed.

Having incubated many eggs of different types, I find excessive humidity a greater risk to a successful hatch than low humidity, generally speaking. The misting and cooling process also helps draw out moisture.

As I mentioned, regardless of where an individual chooses to start the incubation humidity, weighing the eggs will indicate if it's optimal. While not quite as precise, so will the air cell size over time.

Yes, I incubate my waterfowl eggs each year at the humidity I noted. This works for me, in my region, with my equipment, for duck and goose eggs. I verify that the humidity is appropriate by monitoring the air cells (or weight, but usually the air cell size at this point) periodically and adjusting the humidity if needed.

Having incubated many eggs of different types, I find excessive humidity a greater risk to a successful hatch than low humidity, generally speaking. The misting and cooling process also helps draw out moisture.

As I mentioned, regardless of where an individual chooses to start the incubation humidity, weighing the eggs will indicate if it's optimal. While not quite as precise, so will the air cell size over time.
thank you, I appreciate your reply.

My plan was to set some Duck eggs today but over the weekend I’ve been having issues getting a stable humidity in the incubator. Incubator is in my boiler room as I thought this might be a way to help keep the temp at a good level. But the humidity with a dry incubator was around 18%. I added water to the tray and it went to 58% for most of the day but jumped to 78% for the night and stayed there this morning. I’m thinking of moving the incubator to my garage where I incubated guineas dry at 40-55% humidity. Is that a good humidity for duck eggs? I’m getting conflicting info online about it. Also should I spray the eggs starting on day 10? TIA
I've only been incubating duck/goose eggs for a couple years, but I figured out a MAJOR trick to stabilize humidity..

I take a new sponge (without the scrubby part) put it in the area that holds the water, and from there humidity is VERY easy to keep stable. Just toss it afterwards and use a new one for each batch of eggs. If you have small water reservoirs you can cut the sponge to fit the area.

Using this method I have had 100% hatch rates!!

I've only been incubating duck/goose eggs for a couple years, but I figured out a MAJOR trick to stabilize humidity..

I take a new sponge (without the scrubby part) put it in the area that holds the water, and from there humidity is VERY easy to keep stable. Just toss it afterwards and use a new one for each batch of eggs. If you have small water reservoirs you can cut the sponge to fit the area.

Using this method I have had 100% hatch rates!!
I did try using sponges but they either made humidity too high or dried out fast. My incubator is small so I think thats apart of the problem I was having. The time of year was also an issue because of how dry it was. I did eventually put in my garage and used medicine cups to add humidity which worked well enough. All fertile eggs did hatch from that group. Since Then I’ve done dry hatches and have lost 1 or 2 early on but otherwise great hatches.

Back
Top Bottom