Humidity???..HELP!!!!!!!

Nicola

Chook Cuddlin' Aussie
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
ACT
i havent got my eggs yet but im trying to get the humidity in my home made bator to stay up in the 50's rather than the 40's cause of when i do get the eggs how am i supposed to get the humidtiy even higher when i cant even get it to rise now help.. i have 2 containor in there with 3 sponges in with them and it keeeps droping to 40-45%HELP

Last edited:
its good like it is. people use dry incubation and they have theirs at 30% it should be good at 40% just in the last days I don't know how you're going to make it go higher.

yer but i want to get it to stay at 50 so i can be sure that i am able to raise the humidity enough for hatching should i plug p some of the ventilation holes???

Plugging the holes will help but it is also good to get oxygen in there. Can you run a humidifier in the room to get the room RH up?

Also how much water you have in the bator has no effect on the humidity it is only relevant to how much surface area is covered with water. Deeper water makes no difference. Do you have both channels covered?

Oops thought you had a hova bator. same thing applies how much surface is covered with water. Things like cups dont work very well. You may already know all of this

Last edited:
Quote:
so a flatter longer container would work better????? and what do u mean by channels?

Last edited:
Have you calibrated your hygrometer? If not, here is what you do:

Mix 1/2 cup salt with 1/4 cup water in a mug. Put the mug and your hygrometer in a large ziplock type bag, seal it up and let it sit overnight. After 8-12 hours check the reading on your hygrometer. It should read 75%. If it reads differently, you will know to add or subtract the amount it's off when you read it. For example, if it reads 70% you know that your actual humidity is always 5% more than your hygrometer tells you.

Mine were way off, one by 9%, one by 21% (unbelievable!), both read too low.

Quote:
is that for digital my friend has the exact same one as mine and it works fine

Last edited:
Quote:
is that for digital my friend has the exact same one as mine and it works fine

Yes. Mine is digital and was off by 10%. I asked around about it and got people telling me their same one was off by 2% to 15%.

Back
Top Bottom