humidity help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OperationHatch, Nov 14, 2012.

1. OperationHatch

OperationHatch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    I am having a horrible time getting my humidity right. I have two containers full of wet paper towel and my humidity is reading at 24%. Any ideas? This is a LIttle Giant incubator. I had to take out the fan to make it easier for me to refill the water containers without opening the incubator. I need to get the eggs to lockdown conditions no later than tomorrow monring. i was hoping to get it there tonight.

2. OperationHatch

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    i jumped up to a 9 in circular cake pan. It may be overkill, but I just want to see the humidity rise!

3. eggcrate

eggcrate Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I too am using an LG and thought all was well, I now suspect my thermometer & humidity was off all along. My hatch day is tomorrow. At lockdown I put additional thermometers & another for humidity. The temperatures read within 4 degrees of each other, but the humidity gauges are off by 15-20%. I do believe the new one is working as if the humidity rises up too far I can see condensation & can reduce it by taking out one or both plugs fairly quickly. I put additional plastic cups with sponges under the wire in the area under one of the air vents that I can reach with a straw to add water. I am hoping all is well here & wish you the best of luck with your hatch.

4. eggcrate

eggcrate Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I too am using an LG and thought all was well, I now suspect my thermometer & humidity was off all along. My hatch day is tomorrow. At lockdown I put additional thermometers & another for humidity. The temperatures read within 4 degrees of each other, but the humidity gauges are off by 15-20%. I do believe the new one is working as if the humidity rises up too far I can see condensation & can reduce it by taking out one or both plugs fairly quickly. I put additional plastic cups with sponges under the wire in the area under one of the air vents that I can reach with a straw to add water. I am hoping all is well here & wish you the best of luck with your hatch.

5. OperationHatch

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    I finally got my humidity up... all it took was 4 cups of water, 4 sponges and a wet washcloth.. oy vey!!!

6. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a few LG's I have some that I blocked the bottom holes which makes getting the humidity up easier. Before I blocked the holes I would take some thick papper towels fold them up two-four layers thick. Lay one end in the water well and the other sticking into the outside ring. I can usually keep up the humidity. I just have to keep the wells filled.

7. OperationHatch

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    it's at 80% now is that still ok or do i need to get a straw out and suck some of the water out lol

8. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    It is easier to lift the corner of one of the top windows. It will let a little humidity out and your temp shouldn't drop too much.

9. OperationHatch

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    wait, I can open the windows?

10. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    yeah they lift right up. IF I remove a chick before all my eggs are hatched, I open a window grab them out quick and close it. Lets out a lot less heat and humidity that way. But I would just lift up the corner. Small crack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by