Humidity...How do you feel about it????

I'm not sure on the numbers because I have a brinsea mini and no hygrometer that fits inside.

However, the first hatch I did with no added water, and on lockdown I filled both reservoirs as instructed and hatch was ok, however a couple eggs never did hatch even tho they were fully developed.

My next hatch I added no water, then on lockdown I filled both reservoirs but the humidty seemed very high. I soaked up most of the water. When the chick hatched it was very wet and part of him remained a little sticky.

I think I lost the chicks in the first hatch due to too high humidity.

This time I will only fill one reservoir and see how it goes.

Quote:
Ooo. It's so interesting the different humidities that other folk have success with. The one time I tried a dry hatch, humidity was around 35-40% up till day 18. I bumped it up to 70% for lockdown. The eggs had lost far too much moisture - over 30% of their starting weight! - and none of them even pipped. All fully formed but dead in shell and with huge big air sacs.

How do I feel about humidity? It makes me all sticky. Ewwww.

In all seriousness, I wish humidity issues were just bull-hockey. But it seems to matter for my hatches. So that's why I shelled out the bucks for more 'bators with humidity pumps, to automate the whole humidification process.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ooo. It's so interesting the different humidities that other folk have success with. The one time I tried a dry hatch, humidity was around 35-40% up till day 18. I bumped it up to 70% for lockdown. The eggs had lost far too much moisture - over 30% of their starting weight! - and none of them even pipped. All fully formed but dead in shell and with huge big air sacs.

They are SUPPOSED to lose that much from their starting weight.

Well now I don't know if I should keep at 40% or 50%
hu.gif

Getting temp. set right now to get these eggs in, it's our first homemade incubator
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks to all on the advice about the humidity. Since this our first hatch...I'm going for around 45%..maybe a bit lower...40%...I'll probably try for around 70 - 75% on lockdown...but that's 16 days away!!!! I could change my mind by then.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom