Humidity...How do you feel about it????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    I've been reading alot from everyone on humidity....So, I was hoping to get some opinions in my case.[​IMG] I think based on my readings, lockdown requires 75 to 80% humidity (please correct me if I am wrong). SO, on my HB 1602, circulating air incubator.............what are your opinions on the humidity??[​IMG]??????????? I'm only on my 2nd day and it's currently fluctuating from 65 to 55%. Do you think this is too high???? and at what point + or - should I be worried?(I am doing good on maintaining the temp. 99.5).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    you have lockdown correct. But the humidity you have right now seems a little high I am keeping mine at 40's range.... But Everyone seems a little different with there humidity. I see ranges anywhere around 35-50 %

Or theres dry hatches also.

I dont try to go higher then 50% because I dont wanna drownd (sp?) the chick

Btw I have the same exact bator [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    days 1-18 30% to 35%
    lockdown 63% to 65%

4. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Thanks for the input so far!!!! I've opened up the holes on the top...it brings the humidity down.[​IMG]

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG] Exactly!

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2. I don't worry if my humidity drops into the 20's% overnight during incubation, as long as it was in the 30's when I went to bed. I add water first thing in the morning and that takes it back up again. I'd rather that, than have it too high during the first 18 days and have the chicks drown as soon as they pip internally.

7. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    I've also decided to absorb some of the water out......again thanks![​IMG]

8. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I think humidity is a bunch of bull hockey- I lose more upping the humidity to 65-70 in the hatching bator than letting them hatch out in the reg bator with 45-50 humidity. I had a big problem with them dying right before hatching in lockdown- I guess they were drowning- Problem solved, egg turner still turning, same humidity the whole time-healthy chicks.[​IMG] Just my opinion-it works for us

9. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I'm doing a staggered hatch and taking the advice of another site member to keep the humidity around 50 the entire time.. It's been between 50 and 55.. I have no clue how they will do but will let you know sometime this weekend! LOL

BTW, heathersboers Toss me a couple Lav Orp egg!! I want a few sooooo badly!!!!!! [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

10. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    We are on day 2 and our temps are ranging 99.5 - 100.2 and the humidity in the low 40% range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by