Humidity...Humidity..!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shauna's Silkies, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Shauna's Silkies

Shauna's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ireland :D
    Hi All,
    I need a bit of help. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator with 7 silkie eggs. This is my first hatch and i am on day 2 and wondering how to do the humidity.
    I do not have a hygrometer. On the mannual it says to fill 1 pot up until the lasts 2 days then fill both pots.
    Will i leave 1 pot full or will i do something with the humidity...!!!!!!!
    Help Help Please....
    [​IMG]

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Usually the instructions are pretty good. One full till the end and then both full. You can buy a hygrometer and insert if it you want to. The smaller ones are harder to increase the humidity more without the extra room.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Best thing to do is to go to lowes home improvement and get a thermometer/hydrometer.

4. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    [Usually the instructions are pretty good. One full till the end and then both full. You can buy a hygrometer and insert if it you want to. The smaller ones are harder to increase the humidity more without the extra room.]

Thank you so much il do that
    so it dos'nt really matter about humidity!!!!!

thanks [​IMG]

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Since you don't have a hygrometer follow your manual. Filling 1 pot and keep water in it, add water to the 1 pot every few days or whenever it gets empty. On the last 3 days keep both pots filled.

You will find a ton of information about humidity and different opinions on these forums.

6. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    No it does matter [​IMG] That's why I would suggest getting the hygrometer and seeing how high it is

7. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I just mean until then follow the intructions [​IMG]

8. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    thanks everone i will do that so

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dospuercos

dospuercos Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Lehi, UT
    I would invest the money in a hygrometer. I tried it without the first time & only got 12 out of 31 eggs to hatch. Then I bought a hygrometer at Petsmart. When I followed the incubator instructions, the hygrometer read 85%!! By only filling the smallest resevoir in my little giant incubator, I get 50% humidity. Time will tell if this hatch is going to come out better. But so far I think the hygrometer is definitely worth the $6 I paid for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by