Humidity issue in bator

I keep my humidity at 30 - 40% till lock down, then bump up to 65%. If you have condensation on walls/windows, the humidity is too high. But, what you are doing has worked, so... who am I to argue. But, if you find chicks making it to lock down, then dying before they hatch, I would suspect humidity being too high.

I am not so technical. I usually let the broody hens take care of incubation. Humidity until lockdown today was at 55%. Yes there is condensation on the top windows. Yes air cells match 18 days. I do not have a hygrometer, only what is built into the incubator. I did read the instructions for the incubator but they are not very clear. Especially with what to do with the 2 red plugs on the top. I left them in to keep in the humidity. Currently at 64%. How high do I really need it.
Your humidity is HIGH if you have condensation on the window.
Probably way higher than 64%

Next time purchase a humidity gauge and thermometer at Walmart.
Something cheap like this:
JPEG_20180324_095451_8403874614190429610.jpg

and calibrate them.
It is extremely easy to do and I will tell you how if you want to know.

You can NOT trust that your built in incubator's temp and humidity gauges are right.
I know that sounds nuts because I didn't get it at first either.

I am not so technical. I usually let the broody hens take care of incubation. Humidity until lockdown today was at 55%. Yes there is condensation on the top windows. Yes air cells match 18 days. I do not have a hygrometer, only what is built into the incubator. I did read the instructions for the incubator but they are not very clear. Especially with what to do with the 2 red plugs on the top. I left them in to keep in the humidity. Currently at 64%. How high do I really need it.
Take the plugs out so they have air to breath.

Back
Top Bottom