Humidity Question

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So, I just got an incubator and want to take a crack at hatching eggs. I’ve read a thread giving basics but I still don’t know about the humidity. I live in north GA and the humidity rarely dips below 50% (it’s currently 77%). Now I’m pretty sure my incubator has a trough or something and it came with a bottle with a dropper and a spray bottle. What’s the best way to measure humidity and keep it consistent for chicks in my area?
image.jpg
image.jpg

My dad just kinda put water in the bottom of the incubator. Is that correct?? Or is it better to use like wet paper towels?

From day 0 to 18 I keep my humidity from 30-50%
then on day 19, 20, 21 I bump it up to 70% (give or take)

But with all incubators. It’s always good to verify the temperature and humidity with a separate calibrated thermometer & hygrometer. The built in ones aren’t always accurate.

I’m from GA too. Hiya 🙋‍♀️

So, I just got an incubator and want to take a crack at hatching eggs. I’ve read a thread giving basics but I still don’t know about the humidity. I live in north GA and the humidity rarely dips below 50% (it’s currently 77%). Now I’m pretty sure my incubator has a trough or something and it came with a bottle with a dropper and a spray bottle. What’s the best way to measure humidity and keep it consistent for chicks in my area?
View attachment 2466733View attachment 2466736
My dad just kinda put water in the bottom of the incubator. Is that correct?? Or is it better to use like wet paper towels?
Yes, water goes in at the bottom. It isn’t the best incubator to measure humidity; I’ve seen that one before. It doesn’t have a humidity gauge at all, so you will need to buy a hydrometer, and make room at the bottom to put it. Throughout the whole incubation process you will need to keep adding water to the bottom as it will evaporate

You most likely will not want any water added for the first 18 days. Your air is probably at a good humidity for "dry" hatching. During the first days the eggs should lose moisture. Then at day 19 put the water in the bottom to bring the humidity up. Hopefully you can get it above 60 during hatch time. The chicks need moisture to break out of their shells.

You most likely will not want any water added for the first 18 days. Your air is probably at a good humidity for "dry" hatching. During the first days the eggs should lose moisture. Then at day 19 put the water in the bottom to bring the humidity up. Hopefully you can get it above 60 during hatch time. The chicks need moisture to break out of their shells.
This

Back
Top Bottom