Humidity question

Nekremer

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
So days 1-10 my humidity was average 65. Finally figured out my humidity on day 10 and lowered it to 50-60. I’m currently on the first day of lock down. With humidity holding at 65-68. Do you think the chicks will be okay?

How do the air cells look?
I incubate at much less humidity 45% is the max. Typically around 30-40%.
If you don't get many to hatch then lower your humidity next time.
When you incubate at a high humidity typically one or two chicks will hatch, and that raises the humidity a lot and drowns the rest of the chicks in their eggs.
Only time will tell.

When you incubate at a high humidity typically one or two chicks will hatch, and that raises the humidity a lot and drowns the rest of the chicks in their eggs.
Only time will tell.
Yesterday (day 17), the air cells were a bit larger than day 14, but not too much larger. I plan on changing my humidity next time by a lot. Because I was going by the manual and from what I have read, we should not incubate at such high levels for the first 18 days. I will attach a picture of the air cells here. Once the first couple of chicks hatch is there any way I can safely lower the humidity for the remaining chicks?

Attachments

• 2B89B3D4-7F58-4ADE-B214-31C26D9C8E20.jpeg
    2B89B3D4-7F58-4ADE-B214-31C26D9C8E20.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 8
Only time will tell.
These pictures were from day 14

Attachments

• 54402016-1A05-406A-B7EC-410A5CD3C02C.jpeg
    54402016-1A05-406A-B7EC-410A5CD3C02C.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 8
  • D5EEE7E4-06ED-4647-9AA7-42AB2A4359D3.jpeg
    D5EEE7E4-06ED-4647-9AA7-42AB2A4359D3.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 8
I've heard of some people propping the lid open for a little bit right after they hatch. But,
If it was me, I'd just take out the chicks right after they hatch and let them fluff up in the brooder. I know everyone says to let them dry off first but in this situation it will up your humidity way to much to be safe for the other eggs.

I've heard of some people propping the lid open for a little bit.
If it was me, I'd just take out the chicks right after they hatch and let them fluff up in the brooder. I know everyone says to let them dry off first but in this situation it will up your humidity way to much to be safe for the other eggs.
Okay! I will try that for sure! Anything to increase the hatch rate.
I am going by the incubators humidity gauge. I am new to this whole thing and my son brought home eggs and the incubator one day from a friends house. So I told him we would try. Now that I have been reading I purchased a hygrometer for our next batch.

Open your vent holes or prop the lid open a little bit to let the humidity go back down to 65 to 70%. Make sure you keep tabs on your humidity levels when chicks start coming out of there shells.
Perfect! This makes me so happy. I was sure they wouldn’t make it! Because I was so worried about the humidity we started at. I am going to be home for the next few days. So I will be here to closely monitor them. We have regular sized eggs and 5 bantam. Today, we could see a couple moving after putting them into lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom