humidity question

bluebeagle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
i recently set up my new incubator....(all digital r-com 20) the instructions say to kee the humidity set at 40-45% for the first 18 days....then for the last three days kee it at 60- 65%.....every thing ive read says to kee it at 60-65% for the first 18 and 80-85 ercent for the last three days......what should i do....go with my instruction manual??? or go with what i read

welcome-byc.gif

There are many differing opinions on incubation here on BYC. Many prefer the dry hatch method. I would suggest reading through older threads before deciding what is best for you.
smile.png

Happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

There are some out here that do the dry method and don't worry about the humidity until lockdown and then make sure it is 70 to 80 range, with good results. I have not tried it yet, but am thinking about it for my next hatch.

Quote:
40-45% humidity through incubation is the standard, across-the-board advice traditionally given. I did it both ways, dry hatch (30% humidity) and the 45% standard. Hatch rate with lower humidity, 66%. Hatch rate with standard humidity, 25%.

Needless to say, I'm going with 30% humidity from now on.

I always 'dry incubate' which usually means 25-30% relative humidity. Only when the eggs are externally pipped do I increase the humidity to 65-75%. Temerature 37.3-37.5C for many species including chicken, ducks, geese, rheas, parrots and doves. Hope that helps you
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom