1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity to low!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtRendeAcres, Jan 9, 2008.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Help! [​IMG]

I have been trying to get humidity up since Friday!

I am @ 24% ((suppose to be 44% write?))

I have 2 water wiggler in there plus I am adding water with a dropper! (should I add like a cup?)

My eggs came today so I have fix by tomorrow 1pm!

Nice eggs I didn't know Giant Cochins layed such big eggs!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure you're reading humdity inside the bator? If you have an AcuRite with a probe, the probe does NOT read humidity at all. What are you using to read that? If you have one of those AcuRites with a probe in the wiggler and the unit is sitting outside your bator, you are reading the room humidity, not the bator humidity, so don't add any water till you put the entire unit inside the bator and let it stabilize for a couple of hours.
    Of course, if I'm off base and you're using something else, then tell me what you have and we'll go from there.

3. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    several people on this sight told me to add a moist warm sponge to the bator when I have that problem

4. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am using Acurite (has no probe)

reads humidity & temperature (temperature is steady at 101)

I have it sitting in the little Giant bator

5. speckledhen

Ah, is it that one called the Indoor Humidity Monitor? If so, I had a customer whose would never read higher than 16% humidity and we knew that was wrong. I think it may be inaccurate. That humidity seems pretty low if you've been adding water.

6. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    O.K.
    should I leave 1 or 2 water wigglers in?

how much water naormally goes in to get humidity write?

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you need to get a different humidity monitor. Accurite makes a thermometer with a probe that also monitors humidity. You can get it at Lowe's, Walmart, etc. I think it's about $12-$14. I would get something like that before I did anything more about adding water, otherwise you might accidentally drown your embryos.

8. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Unless I am mistaken, the water wigglers are not going to do anything for humidity. The water solution in them is sealed in by the rubber sheath.

To raise humidity, you need to increase the open water surface area.

Try filling a small bowl about 4" diameter half full of water and put in the incubator, you should see an increase in humidity with 1/2 hour.

Marcus

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  9. speckledhen

Water wigglers have nothing to do with humidity at all. They merely simulate the temps inside an egg. A probe goes into the wiggler to measure egg temps.

10. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Water wiggler doesn't help with humidity... course that's been said. Have you added water to the tray in the bottom..??

A wet sponge helps, but I think in your case maybe you were relying on the wigglers ??

Julie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by