Humidity too high

curlysue

Hatching
7 Years
May 5, 2012
We are hatching duck eggs in our classroom. This is only my second year using Genesis 1588 and I am having difficulty keeping the humidity at 55%. When I fill in the 1st trough, it goes up to 88%. When I returned to school after the weekend, there was NO reading so therefore NO humidity...at least there were no eggs in it yet. I have now filled in 2 plastic cups 1/2 way and it seems to work but I can't maintain it. I've read many posts with too low humidity being a problem, not too high. Any thoughts?

I don't really know anything about duck eggs but I would suggest maybe keeping chicken eggs instead, as they might be a bit easier and a friend has chicks at her school and all the kids love them (assuming that your classroom is with kids and not a college or something).

Hi there,
I'm using the Genesis 1588, in my classroom, as well - with chicken eggs. We're on day 16 and I just disposed of 5 of our 8 eggs and there's still one more that I'm questioning... I never bought a hygrometer, though. Is that what you're using to measure the humidity? Since you're mentioning having a problem regulating the humidity with this incubator I'm wondering if that may have been my problem causing this loss. From my understanding, however, you do need to keep water in the trough(s), at all times. I am also hand turning my eggs so I have to go in to the classroom, every eight hours - even on weekends - so I have been checking the water trough and re-filling, as necessary, when I turn the eggs. What problems resulted from unregulated humidity?

Back
Top Bottom