Humidity ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmilySmith2525, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EmilySmith2525

EmilySmith2525 In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2018
    Newcastle,United Kingdom
    Hi,
    So I should be exspecting my chicks this weekend so I went on lockdown yesterday. I have a incubator with reservoirs so I fill them myself, however In order to fill them I have to take the lid off the incubator. I checked them today and they look significantly lower than yesterday and obviously I want to keep them high for lockdown. If they get too low should I refill even if I have to take the lid off? Also I have a water spray bottle should I spray it over the eggs if one is to hatch?

Hope u’s can help :)

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :frow

Even though it’s not ideal yes take the lid off and quickly fill up. Humidity is created by surface area of water and not depth so if you can add sponges and or cloth to create the surface area that would really help. What kind of incubator do you have? Is there any chance you could use tubing and a syringe to get water through a vent hole to top up?

Joeschooks likes this.
  3. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2. And provided none of them have pipped it won’t matter to open the lid (although sometimes it can be hard to tell as they may have pipped on the underside of the egg). Best of luck with your hatch!

4. Lexiee's Chicks

Lexiee's Chicks In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2017
    Wynne, Ar
    I have the same problem. My humidity is showing 41% and temp is 99.6. Today is day 21!! What should I do?

EmilySmith2525 likes this.
  5. EmilySmith2525

Mar 24, 2018
    Newcastle,United Kingdom
    I’m not an expert at all but 41 percent is defiantly too low I would increase it quickly to prevent shrink wrap but honestly a person with more experience would be better to help. Have any pecked through ?

6. EmilySmith2525

Mar 24, 2018
    Newcastle,United Kingdom
    Thank u all for your help I decide to quickly increase it and today have ended up with three lovely chicks couldn’t be happier :)

Thank you so much

Yorkshire Coop likes this.
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    That’s great news :clap

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: