Humidity

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
I have a home built incubator - its huge - will hold almost 100 large chicken eggs.

Anyway - I am planning to set the first batch next week / weenend. I have had it running for several days now to make sure its stable & I have time to fix anything before the eggs arrive.

I'm having trouble getting the humidity up. It's been hanging around 40%. I know - add more water. I have two dishes in there now with dish rags to increase surface area.

When I turn off the circulation fan & let it sit - the humidity will climb to 70%, but with the fan on it stays low. that doens't make sense to me. Plus - I need to add a couple of vent holes - to improve circulation - that will just make it worse.

Any ideas?

Ok - my book says 50 - 60% & then increase to 70% in the last week.

this is my first hatch - so 40% is ok?

Will I need to increase it at the end?

I havea cabinet incubator that can hold over 100 eggs , i would leave the humidty at 40 % until day 18 when you increase it to 60 % or thats what i do at least. My last hatch was like 85 % so thats preety good !!!
smile.png
Cabinet Incubators are the best !!
jumpy.gif

Yes.. 40 is GREAT!!!!...

You will need to make some vent holes, pluggable so if you have to raise the RH... Now how to get a higher RH... Sponges, wash cloths, anything that can wick the mosture from a source and incorporate it into the air.

It would also be helpful to see some pics of your bator. Details on your water devices.

I'm glad to see that you are working out the bugs BEFORE you set..lol

thumbsup.gif

Winter incubation can be more difficult. Our homes are dry due to our furnaces running. If you can, place a humidifier in the room with the bator. It will help increase the humidity in the room so the humidity won't be suck out the bator. I like mine at 50%
thumbsup.gif

Winter in Louisiana.... will be cold for us the next few days.. lows in the 20's (LOL) even with a new 2010 home with the latest and grandist furnace, I will bet we will still have a RH inside of at least 70%

WOOT!
gig.gif

Quote:
I have one piece of advise for anyone hatching for the first time. DON'T READ THE BOOK!
lol.png
I can guarantee you the people that put those bators together and packed that box have never seen a chicken that wasn't labeled Foster Farms.

Quote:
Yes you will need to bump it up to about 55%, but seriously don't worry if you can't get it over 50%. I have great hatches with 45-55% during lockdown. Chickens are SOOO much easier than ducks.

Back
Top Bottom