Hummers are back a week now.

I planted my Campsis radicans (Trumpet Vine) on a cedar-post I buried... it rises 6 ft. off the ground. I've trained the vine into a "weeping tree" like they do with Wisteria!
big_smile.png

I used to set out feeders with sugar-water for the Hummers, but they seemed to tell all their relatives - up to their 40-ith cousins! I couldn't keep up with 'em all! So I started planting nectar plants instead. Monarda didyma (Bee Balm) is a good one!

Quote:
Thank you Jimnjay! It always amazes me how feisty those little guys are. At our old house we had one who would sit in the fig tree where he could see the feeder, and swoop in on the others when they would come in. He was very territorial with his feeder! I'm always amazed at those pictures of 5 or 6 feeding together -- not at my house!

They do sound like little Light Sabers swishing by my head, too.

Oh yeah, I've had them feed from red salvia too. You can get it pretty cheap at Walmart usually, as an annual. I've also heard the red food coloring is bad for them, and we just boil up sugar water too. I bought one of those pretty copper feeders this year, and it was up about a week, and all of a sudden I heard a Crack, and the bottom fell off. The neck of the glass bottle broke clean off with the base still screwed on! I probably screwed it on too tight or something. So I hauled out the trusty glass/red plastic one. Howard and his wife don't seem to mind!

I have not seen any hummers in 3 to 4 days now. Do you think they were just stopping over here to fill up before heading farther north? I know I don't usually get my feeders out till late May and I was surprised to see the little ones a few weeks ago when I orginall posted this. I miss them already.

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday on the philadendrum plant. It's in full bloom now. I put out 2 feeders for the hummers and oranges and a feeder for the orioles, who have been here for a while but hadn't come to the oranges until this week. I just love spring!!! Merry

I have 2 pair of hummers who visit my feeder and bush(weigrea with red flowers all over it) right outside my kitchen window. I was amazed the first time I saw the male land on a limb for a rest. Had only seen them in flight before. They even seem to notice me in the kitchen window, and don't mind a bit. But the Orioles notice every move I make inside and scare easily.
I have noticed that the orioles(sp) never eat the hummer liquid, and the hummers never eat the orange liquid either.
I await their arrival every spring as well.

Mine arrived 3 days ago. I've seen 2 different females and one male. SO CUTE! I have a feeder on both sides of the house so that when my kitty stares at them drooling through the window, they can quickly fly to the other side and outsmart her.... LOL
big_smile.png

The orioles I have are quite brave and I catch them drinking hummingbird food all the time, even though they have their own. I've also got some scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings. I get more birds this time of year and have alot of different seeds out, oranges and liquid feeders. Arn't those little hummers something when they perch. They are so small! I love bird watching! Merry

Back
Top Bottom