Hummers are back a week now.

The easiest thing I have found is Red or Bright Pink Petunias, they bloom for months and the hummers like them. I just bought mine today. We had a hard freeze here about 10 days ago and I can't believe what damage it has done. There will be no blueberries this year or any fruit in this part of NE Alabama. The honeysuckle has yet to leaf back out. The only thing in my yard that may attract the hummers are the Hollyhocks, they seem to be doing pretty well.

jimnjay, here too. i'm in north middle tn. right on the ky line. my hummers are back too. i researched that hanging your feeders near a pine tree is a good idea. hummers use the pine for cover. i've got one next to my front porch where i hang feeders. they dart in and out constantly.
i had wondered why they weren't here yet, usually around late march they show up. guess they new the killing frost was on it's way. but they are here now. so i guess that means no more frost!! yahoo!! near lost all my hostas to it. but now they look as if nothing happened. what an ordeal!!

Thanks for all the info, everybody! The closest thing to having a green thumb that I come to is what may be growing in my fridge. Wasn't even sure where to go to get info. Now I have a start, thanks to all of you!

Here's a pic we snapped last year. Thought you might all enjoy seeing it, too.

various027.jpg

Aren't they precious? So teeny tiny, but they can be agressive. I'm not tech savvy yet. I plan on getting some good close-ups of my visitors this year. In fact, I'm putting up my feeder today. Thanks for sharing your pic.

Our hummers are back, too. We got a couple of feeders up right quick like.

Now we have a real symphony of sight and sound in the front yard, from hummers, to robin, to assorted sparrow, cowbirds, blackbirds, cottontail bunnies, and an occasional prairie gopher.

That last critter creates a lot of damage and we rapidly train the 22 or the 410 to eliminate him.

I'm soooo envious! We haven't seen any of our hummers this year yet! Last year we had 8 hummers. Here are 2 of my favorites pics my hubby took last summer on our front porch.

e4ccc8e5.jpg

16505213.jpg

Thanks! My hubby has an Olympus Dock & Done Digital IR-500. It's the camera his boss requires for job photos (he is in speciality construction).

keljonma

No hummers back in Maine yet, that I have seen. I always put out 2 feeders and wash them every week or so. I have alot of plants they like, Honesuckle,bee balm,rhodedrendon, hydrangeas,and butterfly bushes. Every year I plant new perrenials and bushes to attract them and butterflys. Gotta look after the little ones. Merry

Back
Top Bottom