Hunched over but not egg bound.

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My cuckoo maran who is six months has been hunched over since this morning. She had a normal poop of brown with a tinge of red. The poop was a pasty texture not super watery but not solid. She passed an egg today. She lays once a day for about 6/7 days, takes a day break and resumes, this is her norm since she started laying.
The egg was normal and not thin shelled. She does seem to have the start of fowl pox the only chicken who does have the little bumps. Any idea of what might be wrong?

She eats layer feed pellets with mixed oyster shells in.

Treats are about twice a week which is a handful of scratch grain.

All chickens free range from morning to afternoon.

Symptoms started this morning.

She was her first self yesterday especially because it was treat day. She hasn’t eaten much or drank much today. It’s been around 80° with a nice breeze.

Attachments

• IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    795.5 KB · Views: 18
Have you given her a thorough exam head to toe? Look inside her throat, as well. Part the feathers and look for anything not supposed to be there.

It wouldn't hurt to collect a poop sample and have your vet run a fecal float for parasites.

By the way, hens eat oyster shell when they get a craving for calcium. Mixing it into their food risks them getting either too much or too little. Best to leave it in a container free choice for them to eat according to how much calcium they need. Since layer feed has calcium, it's possible for a hen to overdose and this is hard on the kidneys and can produce kidney stones over time.

We don’t have a local avian vet I would have to find one. I’ll give her another look over I look through their feathers as a daily check, I have a small flock. I’ll look everything over in the morning she is currently sleeping. I checked feet vent and feathers nothing but I’ll check under wings and mouth in the AM.

An avian vet isn't necessary to run a fecal. Any vet can agree to do it. The issue is finding a vet to agree to do it as many are high and mighty about treating chickens. Assure them they need not treat your chicken, just run the float test on the poop and tell you what's in it.

Well she refuses to open her mouth. I can’t get a good grip on her to do it alone so I’ll have to wait till my husband gets home. Did check feathers and under wings and abdomen all is normal she did eat a little and drank a little water. I have her secluded until I figure out what is wrong. She is in my enclosed patio right now and the other chickens are coming by to see her every once in a while. I’m leaning more on the Coccidiosis side. Waiting on another bm to really see.

Back
Top Bottom