Hungry All the Time

You're feeding them canned corn??
No wonder she's hungry!!

Get a nutritionally balanced chicken feed and have it available 24/7.

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

X 2 - also, even for birds on a good diet would seem to be starving whenever presented with a treat such as canned corn.

I'm not feeding them "canned corn". It comes in a regular feed bag. And my other chickens are satisfied and full, so no, she isn't underfed.

What are you feeding in addition to the corn? You can see where the confusion may have come about without it reading that you were using a can to scoop bagged feed corn. It is entirely possible for one or a few birds in a flock to be nutritionally lacking even if other birds are not - and there is a difference between "full" and being on an appropriate diet.

Quote: I'm not feeding them "canned corn". It comes in a regular feed bag. And my other chickens are satisfied and full, so no, she isn't underfed.
I am So Sorry, I do apologize! <blushing smiley>......you said 'can' and I jumped to conclusions...
I think because I saw a pic today of a chicken eating canned corn.

Anyway...then it might be because the chickens are new to the scene and not used to the new schedule and food.

I still stand by the need for a balanced chicken feed available 24/7 instead of feeding once or twice a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom