Hungry Hawk antagonizing my girls

LisaMarie81

Songster
May 8, 2018
"The Jog", Massachusetts
My daughter took a video while we away of a large hawk antagonizing our girls. Very cool video, but very scared girls. No free ranging for these ladies even during the day now. Covered Runs only.
Tried to upload the video but assuming we can't? Are MP4 videos allowed?
Thought it would be cool to share. Just some snapshots from video now.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20180711_071939.jpg
    20180711_071939.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180711_071951.jpg
    20180711_071951.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 44
This is not acceptable, even if raptors are protected. He is clearly overstepping the bounds of his place in the food chain. It is possible to get a permit to remove a problem raptor, (excepting endangered and eagles). I would call your local ACO, and your state wild life management office, and ask what your options are.
I know I’m out area, nuisance and (I think what the law calls it) danger, you are allowed to kill most any animal.... In our area. I know you can shoot deer out of season, even in Rut, if they are eating your crops. But you have to prove it. UNLESS IF THEY ARE ENDANGERED!!

On a safer note, fishing string about 10ft up every 2-3ft spaces will keep them from dive bombing your chickens. The local chicken factory does this.

... fishing string about 10ft up every 2-3ft spaces will keep them from dive bombing your chickens. The local chicken factory does this.

First off most of the worst chicken killing hawks don't come screaming down out of the Wild-Blue-Yonder chicken hawks only attack after a careful and deliberate reconsiane of the physical chicken plant. As I have noted in the following video this Coopers hawk spends 1 and 1/2 minutes (90 seconds) scoping out the coop, pen, run, or whatever it is you want to call it before he acts.

Back
Top Bottom