Hungry Hawk antagonizing my girls

This is not acceptable, even if raptors are protected. He is clearly overstepping the bounds of his place in the food chain. It is possible to get a permit to remove a problem raptor, (excepting endangered and eagles). I would call your local ACO, and your state wild life management office, and ask what your options are.
I know I’m out area, nuisance and (I think what the law calls it) danger, you are allowed to kill most any animal.... In our area. I know you can shoot deer out of season, even in Rut, if they are eating your crops. But you have to prove it. UNLESS IF THEY ARE ENDANGERED!!

On a safer note, fishing string about 10ft up every 2-3ft spaces will keep them from dive bombing your chickens. The local chicken factory does this.

... fishing string about 10ft up every 2-3ft spaces will keep them from dive bombing your chickens. The local chicken factory does this.

First off most of the worst chicken killing hawks don't come screaming down out of the Wild-Blue-Yonder chicken hawks only attack after a careful and deliberate reconsiane of the physical chicken plant. As I have noted in the following video this Coopers hawk spends 1 and 1/2 minutes (90 seconds) scoping out the coop, pen, run, or whatever it is you want to call it before he acts.

First off most of the worst chicken killing hawks don't come screaming down out of the Wild-Blue-Yonder chicken hawks only attack after a careful and deliberate reconsiane of the physical chicken plant. As I have noted in the following video this Coopers hawk spends 1 and 1/2 minutes (90 seconds) scoping out the coop, pen, run, or whatever it is you want to call it before he acts.
You know you might be right. Those lines might just be to keep all birds in general out. Because they have those spikes along the tops and sides of the kwanza huts. I just assumed that the fishing lines keeps hawks from dive bombing, cause I had never seen a hawk not fly at prey.

Last edited:
Are owls more territorial?
Was wondering the same thing. Have a barred as well in our yard singing "who cooks for you" all night. Also, as I noted in another post, our fox is back. Poor birds. The run is only 6 X 4 now, but we have all supplies to add on another 10 X 8 for now. Hoping that will give them the area they need for now as I don't feel safe letting them free range at all. I know our predator birds are never far away. Especially the eagles. and our fox had a litter of 5 pups last year.
These are all within the past year or so - my work is cut out for me. (Although I don't think the groundhog is much of a threat. hahaha)

Attachments

• DSC03288.JPG
    DSC03288.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC07363.JPG
    DSC07363.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC07392.JPG
    DSC07392.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7544.jpg
    IMG_7544.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC07772.JPG
    DSC07772.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
this good video

Not saying the hawk in this video was not injured and thrown into the pen (fake video) But I can say that the response of the Asil hen in the video is typical of asil hens. They don't like things that mess with their babies. Hawk better get a lucky talon in just the right place, and go for mom instead of a chick, or it is likely going to die trying to get back off the ground. Run an Asil rooster loose with hens and their chicks, and the hawk is probably going to get snatched from the sky if he is dumb enough to fly within four feet of the ground.

I let my chickens free range everyday. Yesterday i noticed a lot white feathers in the yard and im missing a white giant. No body found as of yet. Do you think it could be a hawk?
These girls are just old enough i have been getting a couple eggs every ither day. Breaks my heart to lose any, this is my first time rasisng from a chick.

Back
Top Bottom