Hungry Hawk antagonizing my girls

(Although I don't think the groundhog is much of a threat. hahaha)
Groundhogs aren't a threat to chickens, but they can be a threat to chicken feed. They will help themselves given the opportunity.

I let my chickens free range everyday. Yesterday i noticed a lot white feathers in the yard and im missing a white giant. No body found as of yet. Do you think it could be a hawk?
These girls are just old enough i have been getting a couple eggs every ither day. Breaks my heart to lose any, this is my first time rasisng from a chick.
If all that was left were feathers I would suspect a 4 legged critter over a hawk. A LF hen is too large for most raptors to haul off.

Last edited:
I let my chickens free range everyday. Yesterday i noticed a lot white feathers in the yard and im missing a white giant. No body found as of yet. Do you think it could be a hawk?
These girls are just old enough i have been getting a couple eggs every ither day. Breaks my heart to lose any, this is my first time rasisng from a chick.
Sounds like a coyote or fox. Be on the lookout, whatever it was will return. So sorry for your loss.

Hawks/Eagles/Owls in general, do not have the luxury of a drive thru fast food restaurant to feed them. Every moment of their lives, they are hardwired to hunt for their what could very well be their last meal. That's even considering that they even ate anything within the last few days. Only humans consume food with controlled convenience.
Hubby has captured these desperate creatures- super up close, with them showing no fear of mankind. Being bold enough to put up with someone in their close proximity, only shows how bold they have become, with man developing land at record breaking rates as our U.S. resident population explodes. Their hunting grounds are becoming smaller and smaller everyday. So- Backyard Chicken-Mc Nuggets are now on the menu even more nowadays.
I have lost my share of poultry to raptors. I just hatch more.
Grabbed Frame 346 copy.jpg
Grabbed Frame 344 copy.jpg
Grabbed Frame 349 copy.jpg
DSCN5814 copy.jpg
DSCN5814 copyc.jpg

Sounds like a coyote or fox. Be on the lookout, whatever it was will return. So sorry for your loss.
We dont have any foxes, but plenty of coyotes. Last year our neighbor lost half her flock to hawks. They found feathers all over, and the chicken in the treeline. Eventually they spotted 3 hawks on the fence and realized thats what had been happening. Looked like a momma and 2 younger hawks.
We dint see many coyotes that time of day. Usually early morning or at dusk...not saying it wasnt, just not completely sure.
I am going to keep them in the pen for a few day and hang some cd's in case it is a hawk.

Hawks/Eagles/Owls in general, do not have the luxury of a drive thru fast food restaurant to feed them. Every moment of their lives, they are hardwired to hunt for their what could very well be their last meal. That's even considering that they even ate anything within the last few days. Only humans consume food with controlled convenience.
Hubby has captured these desperate creatures- super up close, with them showing no fear of mankind. Being bold enough to put up with someone in their close proximity, only shows how bold they have become, with man developing land at record breaking rates as our U.S. resident population explodes. Their hunting grounds are becoming smaller and smaller everyday. So- Backyard Chicken-Mc Nuggets are now on the menu even more nowadays.
I have lost my share of poultry to raptors. I just hatch more.
View attachment 1468122 View attachment 1468121 View attachment 1468123 View attachment 1468135 View attachment 1468136
I am thankful i live in an area of lots of open land, very rural area. They are like any other predator they like an easy meal.

A hawk was bothering my chickens a couple weeks ago,my husband found a hawk caller on Amazon, it seemed to work,I haven't seen the hawk.

Thought it would be cool to share.
Cool vid, she did a good job.

This is not acceptable, even if raptors are protected. He is clearly overstepping the bounds of his place in the food chain. It is possible to get a permit to remove a problem raptor, (excepting endangered and eagles). I would call your local ACO, and your state wild life management office, and ask what your options are.
:lol: ...really?! It's just doing like any other predator would when tempted by 'boxed' chickens'. Those chooks are safe tho.

But you have to prove it. UNLESS IF THEY ARE ENDANGERED!!
All birds of prey are protected against killing or even harassment...national law. Only large commercial concerns, like fish farms, can get permits.

Groundhogs aren't a threat to chickens, but they can be a threat to chicken feed. They will help themselves given the opportunity.
Any they can open highway tunnels for meat eaters...not to mention the structural damage they can do undermining a building foundation.

Boldness of the raptors here related to them being left largely alone. No boom sticks are being aimed at them nor do they have to worry about leg hold traps mounted to the tops of poles. They are still skittish about anything large moving, but overall not all that scared of people. Immature birds are least inclined to be skittish. My bumbling Great-horned Owls even consider my activities a positive for them even when chickens are not part of their menu. I keep some areas well mowed near abundant rodent populations so the owls can get to a target without damaging wings on foliage.

Groundhogs aren't a threat to chickens... If all that was left were feathers I would suspect a 4 legged critter over a hawk....

I don't think that a groundhog will eat too many hens but the tunnels and dens that they dig and leave behind make a perfect nursery for vermin like foxes, coons, mink, possums, skunks, and for all I know new world badgers.

The operational word is "Integrated pest management which is an ongoing multi pronged program of either managing or managing and controlling (control means kill them all) and let the goddess Gia sort out the guilty from the innocent.

Back
Top Bottom