Hunting Discussion Thread-Hunters Unite!!!!!

Hello everybody , I got a doe this afternoon in S.C. season started Aug 15 to Jan 1st.
Just wanted to let ya'll know there is hunting thread and offshore fishing under Hobbies.

The rut is kinda' slow here too. I think it's because we're like a month or so behind, change of seasons wise. Which, I think, would impact the rut times. Also down here we are only aloud to get cows in elk. It's because of the wolves that released. Great idea F&G! Now what they need to do is release wild boars to relieve the pressure on elk. Yum, wild pork. The good thing about boars is that they will fight the wolves for territory and be matched, and they will thrive here. Cracked egg, are the deer in southern Idaho big? Up here there the size of Labradors. Also, nice doe MommyMagpie! Let's see some more trophy pics!!!
if you can find them PotatoChicken. I have killed 3 mule deer over 30 inches. The biggest 34 1/2 outside spread. Two of those bucks,I'm guessing went around 200 lbs. Those were shot years ago though. We have a few whitetail around here haven't seen any that I would say went over 130 lbs.
I used to hunt up north in Couer D'Alene on my relatives place, never did get that whitetail buck I wanted. The wolves down here have taken a toll also.

I certainly enjoy hunting and, if I wanted to I could get deer, hog and turkey right in my back yard. Over the years I have sort of gotten used to seeing the deer around so I just gave up on shooting them. That is not to say I have given up eating venison. My neighbor and his kids will hunt deer once in a while and I always am lucky to get some of the kill already butchered and packaged. I just don't think that I will ever be able to shoot one myself any more. As far as the hogs go, I will just shoot them on site and call a nearby processor who will pick up the kill, butcher it and I get my pick of the best parts. As for the turkey, I have been known to blast a big tom now and again, especially around the holidays. As far as I am concerned a responsible hunter who hunts for food is a good citizen. However, I am somewhat repulsed by the many packaged hunts offered around here that pass for "hunting."

I certainly enjoy hunting and, if I wanted to I could get deer, hog and turkey right in my back yard.  Over the years I have sort of gotten used to seeing the deer around so I just gave up on shooting them.  That is not to say I have given up eating venison.  My neighbor and his kids will hunt deer once in a while and I always am lucky to get some of the kill already butchered and packaged.  I just don't think that I will ever be able to shoot one myself any more.  As far as the hogs go, I will just shoot them on site and call a nearby processor who will pick up the kill, butcher it and I get my pick of the best parts.  As for the turkey, I have been known to blast a big tom now and again, especially around the holidays.  As far as I am concerned a responsible hunter who hunts for food is a good citizen.  However, I am somewhat repulsed by the many packaged hunts offered around here that pass for "hunting."
wish we had the game you have up here. Well said on the packaged hunts. We have are share of those outfits here as well.

What we have here is private ground with high fences that brings in the elk that the client pays to shoot. The biggest bulls cost quite a bit. The guide leads this moron around for 2 days,trying to avoid the elk. On the third day the guide finally finds the"trophy",the moron shoots it, pictures taken,goes back to the lodge and then flies home. The taxidermist already has the elk mounted minus the detachable antlers,cuts the horns of the morons elk attaches a rod or bolt and sticks the horns on the mount. The hunt is over and the trophy is shipped to the moron. This happens to the north of me, at a place called Broudmouth Canyon Ranch.

Okay I know what those are. I have never been hunting, but I always read the magazines and I get copies of field and stream on a regular basis. Hard to hunt when you live in the city.

Went out Sunday for the last day of our season and I crept up on a doe and her two young ones ( legal around here ) and just watched them for over a half a ahour at fifty feet .It was awesome just watching them ,learn something every time I just observe them .I had a open tag for what ever I wanted to shoot ,but I just can't get myself to harvest does or yearlings these days ? I wish I could get back to basic's and hunt just for the thrill of hunting like when I was younger ! Got caught up on antlers and although there are a lot of deer that I could have shoot by now I guess they got to walk away because of my choice in what kind of animal I want to harvest .We have a lot of talks about getting back to basic's and who knows ? might happen yet ? Great looking deer in the pic's though ,you can always see what the person experianced by looking at there eyes and smiles

Back
Top Bottom