Hurrican Sandy Concerns

Be safe. You will be getting hit hard. I will hope for the best for you.....
fl.gif

I live on the coast in New Jersey-I do believe that Sandy will make land fall close to where I live at some point today The preparations I made for my chickens was--I put heavy plastic over the windows, I tarped their run -my husband screwed the tarp into the frame of the run so hopefully it will stay in place, I put heavy plastic over their front door last night. I also got the chickens lots of pecking vegatables, like cauliflower cabbabge and broccli, this way they have something to do while they are "housebound". I also raked up all the straw and chip around their run and filled in all the holes they made from scratching this way their wont be mud puddles. For my rabbits I put plexi glass on all the open parts of their hutch and put plastic over the wooden door to their enclosed part and also lots of veggies to keep them busy. I put my turtles into their hibernation pens and covered them. Hopefully everything will be fine. To everyone in this storms path--stay safe!!

Good Luck lorain's flids!
fl.gif

I'm in MA, we have been getting ready for a few days now. All we can do is wait it out now.

Good luck to all in Sandy's path!

I'm on the southern coast of RI and it's already getting really windy. Later this morning I'm going to roll the coop into the garage so it will be safe. One of the advantages of having a small coop/flock. In the past I've used my pet carriers to house them in the basement when a short term safe place is needed. Dog kennels also make great indoor coops for the short term.

We're in Connecticut and I don't think the chickens are too happy about it but they're back in the brooder in the basement to wait out the storm. I'm very nervous about a tree or limb falling on the coop and also worried about the winds actually moving the coop. It's a very heavy coop but with the winds we're supposed to get, anything can happen. The chicks are about 9 weeks old and have been outside in the coop for 2 weeks. They're a bit big for the brooder (5 chickens in 4'x2.5' brooder) but I want to keep them safe and they'll go back outside tomorrow when it passes. Hope everyone manages ok with Sandy!!!

I'm in New Hampshire on the seacoast. I just finished stapling a tarp around my run in the hopes of keeping it dry. I used a ton of staples. I'm going to play it by ear. The weather is already making things darker than they normally are. and it's already raining lightly here.

I know you've stapled the carp out of it... but I think I'd be getting a spare scrap 2x4 or two and screw them in place over that tarp along the vertical edges there closest to the coop if possible, maybe something that spans the height of the door. What's a few more holes in that tarp, eh?

I've got family in Lebanon... so... I'll be thinking about all of you guys. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I know you've stapled the carp out of it... but I think I'd be getting a spare scrap 2x4 or two and screw them in place over that tarp along the vertical edges there closest to the coop if possible, maybe something that spans the height of the door. What's a few more holes in that tarp, eh?

I've got family in Lebanon... so... I'll be thinking about all of you guys. Good Luck!
Hi Everybody! I still don't have power and I'm running on a generator, but everything made it through the storm just fine. My girls were visibly disturbed during the storm and the winds were INCREDIBLE here near the seacoast. I went out to check on them and things were cozy but dark for them. I hope to get my power back soon and I just barely got my cable back....YEA! I am one of the lucky ones. My prayers go out for those who did not fare so well. I wish everyone the best.

Back
Top Bottom