Hurricane Florence coming here Thursday.Crystal Coast,NC

It depends on coop construction. Some coops won't withstand the wind due to construction/materials/size. If you're talking about moving the entire coop to the porch I would guess that it would fall into this category. If that's the case your best option would be to move it. Pics would help in determining more suggestions.

If your coop is well built then it may survive wind if it's anchored down well. You can use hurricane straps and mobile home anchors for the short term. If the area will flood then you really need to move them to higher ground. If your coop is a pre-made, or not well built then it would be better to move the birds to a safer place anyway. If you have a garage that won't be a flood risk, you can crate them there until it's safe for them to go back outside. If flooding is a risk, then moving them to higher ground would be recommended. If you have a friend or family member that is farther inland, or on higher ground can you crate them and move them there until it's safe? Looking at a map, you seem to be where there is going to be a high risk of flooding and storm surge if you take a direct or close hit. You have a couple of days left to plan and prepare, so I hope you can make arrangements. Don't forget about having dry feed and access to water for them. Best of luck! :hugs

Is it possible for you to evacuate with the chickens? Do you have a car? During hurricane Irma someone evacuated their chickens like this:
chicken.jpg

They wrapped their chickens up in newspaper and taped them.
You need to evacuate right away, this hurricane is no laughing matter. Please stay safe, and remember your safety comes before any animals safety, as harsh as it may seem.

My prayers will be with you, stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom