Urgent! 6 year old hen lethargic with slow heartbeat

Nov 26, 2021
Hello. My six year old hen has been a bit gloomy recently but today when I found her she was doing anything.
At first, earlier this morning, she had her eyes open but wouldn’t eat and would need her beak dipped to drink. Currently she won’t open her eyes and has just been sleeping since this morning.
I noticed that her crop hadn’t gone down at all last night, it is a bit bigger than a pingpong ball and hard but can be squished around. I gave her water and olive oil, waited ten minutes then massaged her crop gently for around an hour. It was the same size. Her crop seems to mainly have corn by the feel of it.

We’ve put her in a crate with a hot water bottle to a side to help keep her warm, she is lying down on her side due to her leg injury

-She hurt her right leg a couple months back and can no longer use it, she learnt to get around by hopping though

-She got incredibly skinny in this period, we fed her twice a day, one at morning which consisted of rice and beans, the second which was fruit and sometimes eggs or other odd foods, and this is given to her when she comes in to sleep.

-She is free-ranged alongside my entire flock, there is corn and feed always available.

-She sleeps in a crate in my house, alongside my cockerel (who has a separate box)

-We recently lost a chicken that was very close to her and she get depressed for a month. Although she recovered well and started joining the flock on their little trips around.

-She hasn’t been laying eggs since her injury

-Our cockerel is a bantam and I know for a fact he didn’t do anything to her

Attachments

• E31E350D-F980-4569-BDE8-D0414C09C5B6.jpeg
    E31E350D-F980-4569-BDE8-D0414C09C5B6.jpeg
    744.7 KB · Views: 58
Did you ever give her real chicken feed or just people food?
We're they cooked?
she has access to chicken feed and she does eat it. The rice was always cooked and the fruit we give her grows around here (the fruits drop and normally my chickens get to it) so she should be used to it.
The fruit in specific is normally papaya, watermelon or banana.

We never give her actual human food beyond the rice and beans

she has access to chicken feed and she does eat it. The rice was always cooked and the fruit we give her grows around here (the fruits drop and normally my chickens get to it) so she should be used to it.
The fruit in specific is normally papaya, watermelon or banana.

We never give her actual human food beyond the rice and beans
It may just be age, compounded by her injuries and low nutrition diet, im sorry but she may not bounce back.. She need mostly chicken feed, beans can be toxic the chickens and can cause nutrition issues.

It may just be age, compounded by her injuries and low nutrition diet, im sorry but she may not bounce back.. She need mostly chicken feed, beans can be toxic the chickens and can cause nutrition issues.
ah, i didn’t know that beans can be toxic. I’ll make sure to no longer feed them to my chickens.
Age most likely does play a part in this
Do you have any ideas on what would be a better diet? Would be useful to know incase she gets better and for future cases

ah, i didn’t know that beans can be toxic. I’ll make sure to no longer feed them to my chickens.
Age most likely does play a part in this
Do you have any ideas on what would be a better diet? Would be useful to know incase she gets better and for future cases
If their cooked they should be mostly fine. But her chicken feed is what's best for her and maybe chicken vitamins if you can get it.

If their cooked they should be mostly fine. But her chicken feed is what's best for her and maybe chicken vitamins if you can get it.
Yes they’re always cooked. My chickens are picky eaters, don’t always want feed but they get plenty of food from foraging. I’ll try get them more used to feed. And unfortunately we cannot get chicken vitamins

I’m very sorry to hear this I hope you are doing ok. I hope that your flock won’t be affected by her loss. My thoughts are with you.

Back
Top Bottom