Hurricane Irene

They can stay in for a long while. They would rather be hungry & dirty than to blow away in the wind.
Leave them out for as long as you feel safe, watch the weather news for updates on wind gusts.
If things start moving across your lawn like your neighbors lawn furniture, bring them in.
Have those 33 crates set-up and ready just in case. Good luck on Long Island!
Good luck to everyone.

Quote:
HAHA, lets spend some quality time with them inside. Chicken Diapers for all!
wink.png

I've been hoarding big boxes just in case they have to come inside, at least some of the poop will be contained. Bathtubs, they can be cleaned later. And there are quite a few threads about Irene.... those screw in loops might come in handy for securing the coops. My DH has started strapping everything that might blow around to the trees (the safe ones, not wimpy ones) Good luck to all, Roberta

Well it took some work but I have dog crates in the house for all 33 of my feathered friends.
Big ones so they have to share !!
I put shower curtains around the bottoms and up the sides with zip ties to stop shavings from flying out.
It should be enough room for them to also be given food and water too.
I just didnt feel right about risking leaving them out.
Dont know how they're gonna feel about it but they'll be safe!!
STAY SAFE !!!

Hi! I am from Miami...I know Hurricanes...a sheet of plastic is not going to make a bit of difference. Also, while your inside and you hear the sounds of what is going on outside, you will be worried sick. I actually ran out in the middle of the hurricane to grab the chickens. Not my smartest hour - but I believe I saved my chickens.

I would find a solid area (garage) you can put them in while the Hurricane is in your area....remember...the eye of the storm is calm...you still have the back winds coming. I load all my chickens in several plastic bins. (with holes, of course) and put them in the garage. It stinks for them...but it is only for a few hours. Please be safe.
Nancy

Quote:
They usually calm down when their contained like that. Good luck!! Yes, They will like having a buddy with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom