Hurricane Ophelia - Ireland

Pics

ChickenGrass

Songster
8 Years
Aug 16, 2015
Ireland
hi all,
Tomorrow here in Ireland we are supposed to get hit with the worst storm we have had in the last 50 years!
Gusts over 130 km/h (80 mp/h)
By the time it reaches Ireland it will be a tropical storm as the water temp is too cool for the hurricane to keep coming.
My area is in a red warning for wind
And an orange warning for rain ⚠️
http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.iri...torm-in-more-than-50-years-1.3256472?mode=amp

I hope none of my chickens blow away

Everyone else in Ireland I hope you stay safe.
I think it's also going to uk so I hope you all stay safe too.

hi all,
Tomorrow here in Ireland we are supposed to get hit with the worst storm we have had in the last 50 years!
Gusts over 130 km/h (80 mp/h)
By the time it reaches Ireland it will be a tropical storm as the water temp is too cool for the hurricane to keep coming.
My area is in a red warning for wind
And an orange warning for rain ⚠️
http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.iri...torm-in-more-than-50-years-1.3256472?mode=amp

I hope none of my chickens blow away

Everyone else in Ireland I hope you stay safe.
I think it's also going to uk so I hope you all stay safe too.

Hopefully they will do fine. I’ve heard of people bringing their chickens inside and putting them in their bathroom during hurricanes and others just leave them out or lock them inside the coop. I guess it all depends on what your coop/run and house is like and how bad the weather gets! The one big thing is to have enough food and water stored (for both you and your animals) in case you lose power and/or the stores or closed for a bit due to storm damage.
We have a place on Marco Island, Florida where Hurricane Irma made landfall as a Cat 3 hurricane. Although I don’t have any birds there, our place survived just fine! In the Caribbean Island of Barbuda, Irma hit as a Cat 5. The guinea fowl there looked like they survived better than the houses:

4E309A52-EB14-401B-B900-0E8B0E9AE2D7.jpeg

E3B4E499-3F9F-4039-9B50-540CDA5918D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 083DF7D3-D141-4563-BAB4-DB66D691C66D.jpeg
    083DF7D3-D141-4563-BAB4-DB66D691C66D.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 3
Hurricanes are a frequent occurrence here, too, so I keep one eye on the tropics at this time of year. I was horrified when I saw Ophelia's projected track. Harvey, Irma, etc, have created widespread havoc, but at least they were in places where people are somewhat prepared to deal with them.

Around here, we are told to expect to be unable to leave our property for at least 3 days, so food and water supplies for that length of time are considered a minimum. A tropical storm is more like a major mess rather than a catastrophe, but you can still get trees blocking roads and downed power lines making traveling unsafe. More people get hurt doing cleanup after the storm than during the storm itself - y'all stay safe, and know we are praying for you!

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for your replies.
Thankfully it won't hit Ireland as a hurricane but it is a hurricane out on the Atlantic ocean.

They think it will hit us at category 1 which isn't much for some people,
But it is big here in Ireland as its the biggest storm in 50 years!

We don't need to evacuate as it's not big.
There may be flooding on coastal areas, but I'm not near the coast.

I am expecting to get up tomorrow morning with no power.
I just hope the chickens are all fine.
I can't take them in to my house as I have over 50. :D
Now I am going washing some chickens for a show next week lol.

Thanks to everyone,
Fionn.

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for your replies.
Thankfully it won't hit Ireland as a hurricane but it is a hurricane out on the Atlantic ocean.

They think it will hit us at category 1 which isn't much for some people,
But it is big here in Ireland as its the biggest storm in 50 years!

We don't need to evacuate as it's not big.
There may be flooding on coastal areas, but I'm not near the coast.

I am expecting to get up tomorrow morning with no power.
I just hope the chickens are all fine.
I can't take them in to my house as I have over 50. :D
Now I am going washing some chickens for a show next week lol.

Thanks to everyone,
Fionn.

50 chickens in your bathroom would give the term “overrun with chickens” a whole new meaning! Hoping for the best for you all over there! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom