Hurricane Ophelia - Ireland

Pics

ChickenGrass

Songster
8 Years
Aug 16, 2015
Ireland
hi all,
Tomorrow here in Ireland we are supposed to get hit with the worst storm we have had in the last 50 years!
Gusts over 130 km/h (80 mp/h)
By the time it reaches Ireland it will be a tropical storm as the water temp is too cool for the hurricane to keep coming.
My area is in a red warning for wind
And an orange warning for rain ⚠️
http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.iri...torm-in-more-than-50-years-1.3256472?mode=amp

I hope none of my chickens blow away

Everyone else in Ireland I hope you stay safe.
I think it's also going to uk so I hope you all stay safe too.

Hi there
@sumi
Sorry i didn't reply earlier but I lost my power but it's back now.
How are you doing?

We lost power here at around 13:45 today.
I was just sitting here and the power came back!
That's a big surprise as they are saying it may take 10 days for some people to get power again.

Not much damage here.
All of the chickens are fine,
But some led from one of my sheds began to come off,
So I fixed that!
Still windy though.
They are still estimating winds of around 90km/h tonight.

I will let you know how everything is tomorrow morning.

stay safe,
Fionn.

Last edited:
I'm in Tipperary, so preparing as best I can, just in case. Thankfully I have a strong shed housing my hens, so they'll be safe. I'm a bit worried about my friends down in West Cork, but hoping for the best :fl

For those of you who don't have an alternate method for cooking, lookup "Rocket Stove" on youtube, while you still have power. There are dozens of designs that work and work well. And you power it with small sticks and leaves and such.

ETA: If you have a cast iron dutch oven Look up Chas townsend and sons on youtub and look for his cast iron classes. For what its worth, a long time ago I came across an 18th century survival guide for folks moving out west in the US. It was all about how to use what you have at hand to cover basic necessities. And I have been through a military survival school as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom