Hurricane Ophelia - Ireland

It's very quiet here at the moment. Wondering what we're going to get up to in the morning. Will try and check in through the day. @ChickenGrass, everyone, stay safe :hugs

Very quiet here too @sumi
No wind here all day today.
I will keep you updated through the day if I still have power.
The storm should be gone by midnight Monday.

Everyone stay safe!

Our supermarket was out of candles, so I'm hoping we won't need any tomorrow... Got water, food, firewood and the all important wine ;) We should be o.k.
In a pinch you can use cooking oil and something, quite literally anything, like a wick to make oil lamps.

ETA: I like flannel best.

I have a parafin lamp which I have from the last storm in 2014 (which wasn't as bad as the storm coming)

We also have fire wood in,
And candles.
Hopefully the power won't go.
Last storm it was gone for 5 days!

Even if the electricity is gone o can still cook on the hob as it's gas :)

For those of you who don't have an alternate method for cooking, lookup "Rocket Stove" on youtube, while you still have power. There are dozens of designs that work and work well. And you power it with small sticks and leaves and such.

ETA: If you have a cast iron dutch oven Look up Chas townsend and sons on youtub and look for his cast iron classes. For what its worth, a long time ago I came across an 18th century survival guide for folks moving out west in the US. It was all about how to use what you have at hand to cover basic necessities. And I have been through a military survival school as well.

Last edited:
ESB is ready for power outages, so :fl It's weird sitting here waiting on this storm... It's so quiet outside at the moment. I need to get some sleep, but I'm a little worried. Hoping we won't lose power mostly. Tipperary is under orange @ChickenGrass I see Limerick is red. Hope you're going to be o.k. over there. You're closer to the expected path.

ESB is ready for power outages, so :fl It's weird sitting here waiting on this storm... It's so quiet outside at the moment. I need to get some sleep, but I'm a little worried. Hoping we won't lose power mostly. Tipperary is under orange @ChickenGrass I see Limerick is red. Hope you're going to be o.k. over there. You're closer to the expected path.
In previous storms do you lose power for long periods of time?

I suggest you play on BYC as much as possible right now while you still have power!
:woot
Forget sleep...you can do that tomorrow. lol

Well sure we can all call in here tomorrow evening, see who is getting what. I know that the hospitals/ambulances etc are all working on a cross border standing, so injured folk get to the closest hospital...rather than the normal situation.
Hopefully all the preparation isn't needed, but sure, worst case scenario, you can come over to my house and stay. Bring some potin if you have any.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom