Hurricane prep, need advice

^^^ Correct.

If you are lucky, tarps tear. If you are unlucky, they provide enough lift that things get thrown around. If you've ever used a kite on a windy day, you have some idea of what a mild to moderate wind can do with 1 sq ft of nylon or so.

A weak hurricane involves winds 2-3x stronger, and a small 6x8 tarp has 48x more surface area...

At 75 mph, winds exert a force of about 22.5 pounds per square foot - meaning that tarp could (theoretically) lift about 1/2 ton. A 10x12 tarp - more than a ton. Obviously, it will rip sooner and the pressure will be applied to multiple points (every stake, tie down, etc), but you get the point, there are very large forces involved.

/edit Also, its not a linear scale - at 100 mph, the wind force is something more like 40 pound per square foot, while at 25 mph, its a mere 2.5# per square foot. As with most things in physics, speed matters.

Last edited:
^^^ Correct.

If you are lucky, tarps tear. If you are unlucky, they provide enough lift that things get thrown around. If you've ever used a kite on a windy day, you have some idea of what a mild to moderate wind can do with 1 sq ft of nylon or so.

A weak hurricane involves winds 2-3x stronger, and a small 6x8 tarp has 48x more surface area...

At 75 mph, winds exert a force of about 22.5 pounds per square foot - meaning that tarp could (theoretically) lift about 1/2 ton. A 10x12 tarp - more than a ton. Obviously, it will rip sooner and the pressure will be applied to multiple points (every stake, tie down, etc), but you get the point, there are very large forces involved.

/edit Also, its not a linear scale - at 100 mph, the wind force is something more like 40 pound per square foot, while at 25 mph, its a mere 2.5# per square foot. As with most things in physics, speed matters.
Oh man... I need my coffee. So this is what I missed when I went surfing instead of showing up for class...? Bravo! Yeah, what storm said! 👍👍👍 lol

Yes, very interested! Please do keep us posted when you can. What are they calling for now? Maybe the ill-tempered Ida will shimmy to the left or right, north or south 🤞🤞🤞
Looks like a direct Cat 3 hit. I don't think Baton Rouge has gotten hit with one in a long time. Looks like it'll be a Cat 1 or 2 when the eye reaches here.

if you strap pens down and they have roofs like canvas or tarps tie them to the pens with something that will rip before the pens are blown over. Im in st tammany and getting ready also. If you need specific instruction you can pm me. Good luck and don't jeopardize yourself for the chickens they'll be fine. Mine love the fresh air and the rain. Its a break from 1000 degrees

if you strap pens down and they have roofs like canvas or tarps tie them to the pens with something that will rip before the pens are blown over. Im in st tammany and getting ready also. If you need specific instruction you can pm me. Good luck and don't jeopardize yourself for the chickens they'll be fine. Mine love the fresh air and the rain. Its a break from 1000 degrees

God be with you too.

Thank you so much everyone for your well wishes, guidance, and prayers! We've moved the coops into a cluster in a corner of the fence. Hurricane crates are set up with food and water in my dining room, and the ladies will be moving in tomorrow night.

Looking more and more likely like it'll be a Cat 4 storm on landfall.
Screenshot 2021-08-27 14.30.21.png

Be safe! I think maybe all the Louisiana BYCers need to get together and hunker down with some gumbo :gig

Back
Top Bottom