Need advice for raising chickens on slabs

Carbon12

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hi, Im very new to raising chickens (these are my first ones). I brought one of those omlet eglu runs thinking it would be great for raising chickens in my terraced house. My garden is all slabbed and the eglu just sits on top with the 3 chickens inside.

However after a day I’ve run into an issue with the smell. I find the only way I can keep on top of it is constant cleaning of coop and run everyday however I’m finding this quite difficult to keep up with and the eglu design doesn’t make this easy. I knew raising chickens wasn’t going to be a walk in the park however I find this method of raising chickens very demanding and not enjoyable. Am I doing something wrong any advice to how to better manage the smell/coop or do you think it’s something I’m going to have to give up as I was looking forward to looking after them whilst enjoying the hobby?

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• BAB65A27-3116-43E1-9767-6AC7B45B6E38.jpeg
    BAB65A27-3116-43E1-9767-6AC7B45B6E38.jpeg
    758.2 KB · Views: 12
There's no litter to absorb poop and the set up is very small overall. I don't see any way to keep the odor down other than frequent cleaning with the way this is set up. Do the birds get out at all? Is there any way to provide them with bedding, not just for cleanliness but also to give them some enrichment? Their instincts tell them to dig. They will also want to dust bathe.

hi I could provide them with straw bedding but I’m scared that would get wet and smell. Could try sand but I don’t know how I would stop that blowing away. We let them out to have a run for about an 1-3 hours a day. Thanks

You can use some trim wood around the bottom edge to make a bumper to help keep bedding in.

Not sure what bedding would work best in this situation, you may need to experiment a bit to find what works for you. Straw may have issues with mold if it gets wet - I have not tried it myself. Sand generally works best if it can be kept bone dry and if it gets sifted clean each day. Wood shavings are popular but again it functions best when dry. I use deep litter (which can get wet no problem) but that would not work in this set up as needs to be on dirt and requires a higher volume of litter-to-poop to compost properly. Regardless of what you choose you're likely to still need to do regular clean up simply due to space.

Thank you for your advice. I think a slabbed garden probably wasn’t the brightest idea 😅. Hopefully trying to see if I can get an allotment and see if moving them there would be a better idea; again I will come for more advice and plan better before doing so.

Hi, Im very new to raising chickens (these are my first ones). I brought one of those omlet eglu runs thinking it would be great for raising chickens in my terraced house. My garden is all slabbed and the eglu just sits on top with the 3 chickens inside.

However after a day I’ve run into an issue with the smell. I find the only way I can keep on top of it is constant cleaning of coop and run everyday however I’m finding this quite difficult to keep up with and the eglu design doesn’t make this easy. I knew raising chickens wasn’t going to be a walk in the park however I find this method of raising chickens very demanding and not enjoyable. Am I doing something wrong any advice to how to better manage the smell/coop or do you think it’s something I’m going to have to give up as I was looking forward to looking after them whilst enjoying the hobby?

Thanks 😊
You just don't have the right environment in which to raise chickens.
They need earth, digging and dust bathing options, shelter, sun, grass if at all possible, lots of ventilation and space.
I keep chickens and it IS a walk in the park. But they have 1/3 acre of my property with a large walk-in coop and huge attached run. It's very enjoyable caring for them and observing their behaviors.
What you have to offer would be more appropriate for quail. Perhaps you should reconsider.

You just don't have the right environment in which to raise chickens.
They need earth, digging and dust bathing options, shelter, sun, grass if at all possible, lots of ventilation and space.
I keep chickens and it IS a walk in the park. But they have 1/3 acre of my property with a large walk-in coop and huge attached run. It's very enjoyable caring for them and observing their behaviors.
What you have to offer would be more appropriate for quail. Perhaps you should reconsider.

I think I agree somewhere a bit more greener and spacious is what they need. Anyway thank you everyone for your advice ☺️

Back
Top Bottom