Hurricane Preparation

Around Orlando? Where are they projecting landfall for Irma, haven't really been watching too closely (thought it was the keys? let me look). Let's see... 2004-5 was twelve-thirteen years ago, the heavy hurricane year tends to fall once every ten to fifteen years. Could be due for it, wouldn't surprise me. If not this year, sometime in the next three most likely.

If she takes that swing north you're done. Forget the chickens. You'll be on the northeast side of the storm that spawns tornadoes and more rain than Orlando can handle. I'd head to GA, some old campground type places in the backcountry where you could hole up a couple of days for cheap, or tiny hotels in equally tiny towns that won't cost you a fortune but could save your life. Stay off 75 for that, take the back roads instead. (But that's worse case scenario. Doesn't hurt to have everything ready to go now just in case. Just remember, traffic will get worse the longer you wait. Much worse.) Better safe than stuck in a flooded out house with no power crawling up onto your roof, or being in a house when a tornado rolls over.

Far as reinforcing the coop, I'd put some bracketing in. Quick and easy worth a shot. Hurricane brackets they used to call them, keep the roof from blowing off in a gale. But they're only good up to so high a wind speed you know. Same with 2x4s they'll snap at a certain point.

Grew up in south Georgia, plenty of hills there to get you out of flood zones if you're north of Tifton especially so. Hurricanes Charlie and Ivan both rolled over us, as greatly weakened storms. Charlie knocked the power out for two days and spawned tornadoes like nobody's business. Ivan just dumped rain. So much freakin' rain our big hill was soggy.

Atlanta GA, Agusta GA, and Boloxi MS all have Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc centers. I work for SA. Call them and see if you can run to them. High class centers. NBA degree basketball courts, Olympic degree style pools. The Krocs wanted everything to by stylish in their 27 centers nationwide.
Karen.

Around Orlando? Where are they projecting landfall for Irma, haven't really been watching too closely (thought it was the keys? let me look). Let's see... 2004-5 was twelve-thirteen years ago, the heavy hurricane year tends to fall once every ten to fifteen years. Could be due for it, wouldn't surprise me. If not this year, sometime in the next three most likely.

If she takes that swing north you're done. Forget the chickens. You'll be on the northeast side of the storm that spawns tornadoes and more rain than Orlando can handle. I'd head to GA, some old campground type places in the backcountry where you could hole up a couple of days for cheap, or tiny hotels in equally tiny towns that won't cost you a fortune but could save your life. Stay off 75 for that, take the back roads instead. (But that's worse case scenario. Doesn't hurt to have everything ready to go now just in case. Just remember, traffic will get worse the longer you wait. Much worse.) Better safe than stuck in a flooded out house with no power crawling up onto your roof, or being in a house when a tornado rolls over.

Far as reinforcing the coop, I'd put some bracketing in. Quick and easy worth a shot. Hurricane brackets they used to call them, keep the roof from blowing off in a gale. But they're only good up to so high a wind speed you know. Same with 2x4s they'll snap at a certain point.

Grew up in south Georgia, plenty of hills there to get you out of flood zones if you're north of Tifton especially so. Hurricanes Charlie and Ivan both rolled over us, as greatly weakened storms. Charlie knocked the power out for two days and spawned tornadoes like nobody's business. Ivan just dumped rain. So much freakin' rain our big hill was soggy.

170905170342-hurricane-irma-forecast-track-5p-friday-exlarge-169.jpg

Every time I look at the track she's swinging farther north. Makes me nervous for my family, hardheaded bunch. They'll get out or they won't, no changing minds there.

Every time I look at the track she's swinging farther north. Makes me nervous for my family, hardheaded bunch. They'll get out or they won't, no changing minds there.

If I had family or friends in the path of this storm I would be begging them to leave. As I'm begging anyone here in its path to PLEASE leave now before it's too late.

If I thought it would help, I would. As it is, I might have to talk my mother out of going to her own brother's funeral on Friday, because it's in West Palm. Hoping and praying the funeral home reschedules, cause if they don't, I know at least some of the family will go anyway. Bunch of crazy, hardheaded... Fill in the blank here.

RUN NORTH! My Mom lost her home in 2004. Not wiped out but lots of water inside from the damage. She went to NC and then back to it and when I arrived a couple months later it was full of black mold. Temp protection had been put up. Most of her neighbors homes were flattened. Not a CAT 4 or 5 but hit by 4 of them. They just said on the news the sustained winds could be 200 or more and possibly the strongest hurricane since tracking them. One weather reporter I heard predicted possibly will be a 6. Hoping my niece and family head North. They are usually crazy and stay.

Keep those in Puerto Rico on this site In your thoughts as well. They will be getting hit tomorrow and already have some of the early bands.

One of the best places to get up-to-date information on hurricanes in the Caribbean is the "Caribbean Hurricane Network". it is run by Gert and has a whole network of correspondents from the different Islands who send in updates. there are links to find the least overloaded servers where you can Yelp for help. it's just a whole network of help and advice and weather information. just excellent! www.stormCARIB.com

Back
Top Bottom