Hurt Quail Please Help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a coturnix hen that looks hurt. She bends her neck backwards, and will waddle around going backwards until she falls. Is there anything I can do for her?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    How Old Is She?

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Injury or illness? Some diseases manifest in neurological symptoms like this. It could also be what they refer to as a "bonking" injury if the bird flew up suddenly and hit a hard surface at a high speed, causing injury to the head and neck, and probably to the brain as well. Or, really, about a thousand other things. That's the hard part, knowing what the problem is.

The basic first aid for most anything is isolation, heat (around 90 degrees == but NOT if the suspected problem is heat stroke, obviously in which case you need to cool the bird fast), water with electrolytes is possible and if the bird can swallow. If it survives a few hours and looks no worse, you can try giving it antibiotics, a broad spectrum mix such as tetracycline and penicillin. I know you don't know what the problem is, but the above approach has worked for me more than once in similar circumstances when I didn't know what the specific problem was either.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Good answer [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Thank you. My knowledge is limited, so I hope people take it as just a suggestion.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That happend to one of my bobwhites. It died.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by