Husband overfeeding animals and will not listen to me...HELP!!!

EurekaSouth

Songster
13 Years
Mar 8, 2007
North Northern California
This will probably make some of you smile, and it's mostly me blowing off steam, but I tell him I have fed the chickens that morning (or the llamas or the cats) and he will still feed them way too much - like he thinks I am starving them or something... I have told him we don't want fat animals, it's expensive to feed them when they don't need to be fed, there is a drought here and hay will be very expensive this year and besides we have 4 acres for our two llamas to graze on, but but he insists on feeding everybody way more than they need. What do I do?

First of all don't feed them yourself... just let him feed.

Secondly you go out and pick up the feed that is too much like hay and such and stick it back in the shed or barn where ever it goes. If the bales are broken they can be restacked easily if they aren't too messy.

Other wise it is expensive.

I am very cautious of how much I feed cause I hate waste even in my kitchen.

Arklady

You may also want to let him know how unhealthy it is for them to be overweight. An overweight llama will have coarser fleece, be more prone to heatstroke, not provide as much milk for her cria, and could abort, among general obesity issues. And fat chickens don't lay as much.

Unless they are meat birds, you usually can't overfeed chickens. If they are not free ranging, they should have food available 24/7 (unless you have problems with other animals eating the chicken food.)

At super time over feed him.
roll.png
Just stack the food on his plate and see if he gets the idea. Just kidding of course. Let him feed them for a while, you can be the treat giver. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom