Hybrid Cross Between a Duck and a Goose: Do Gucks Exist?

Those photos are indeed fascinating. Hybrids are in general a very interesting topic.

I also agree with you on the egyptian geese. They are more related to ducks than ducks are to "real" geese and thus are able to hybridize with ducks while geese are not.
I am currently doing some internet research on that matter, but sadly I cannot find anything of scientific value, just web pages where other people were discussing the topic as we do now
roll.png

My brothers neighbors has these birds on his pond. When I first saw them I couldn't figure out if they were ducks or geese. Later, my brother told me that they're both. I wish I had pics to share. They are very interesting.

Serge Dumont Bird Hybrids Database lists mallards as having hybridized with greylags, Canada goose, and barnacle goose in the wild and swan goose and cackling goose in captivity. Taxonomy of waterfowl show they are very closely related, so just genera or even family differences are small.

Clint

I saw a weird looking bird today on it's own just outside my apartment which is next to a quay. There are a lot of geese and seagulls and a few ducks knocking around but this thing didn't look like any. Too big to be a duck and not the right colour and shape to be a goose. It's also got an awful high pitched call. My thoughts are a possible duck/ goose hybrid or an ugly gosling thats survived and been disowned from the group but I'm not well up on this topic. I took a pic if anyone can identify what it is this would be great.

I don't know if this can happen or not but someone up around here had 1 female duck and no males and then hens and a rooster and a hen went broody on a duck egg and it hatched out .. it was a big white duck and the mother is not white and he raised it since before it could mate .. I called it a chuck lol

Thanks for replies. Just checked out pink footed goose on google and that looks like a match. Seems to be trying to blend in with all the canadian geese, poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom