Hybrid Pheasants

Pics
I honestly don't think this thread will impact the world significantly at all. People here either research or sight-see. It's not a zoo or pet store to just buy something and leave, there's a strong 'am I doing thi right' vibe here.

However, it's nota conservation forum or something huge and mainstream that touches the masses. Because this is about help, research, and experience, forum-goers already have that mindset when they come here.

From what you've taught me, in fact, that analogy is taking things a bit far. Extinction is bad, but the phrasing sounds like all pheasants everywhere will die out in a matter of minutes.

It's good to be concerned, but there doesn't seem to be anyone here to convince. Acting like it's the end of the world or like people are monsters isn't a solution. Your localnews station, pet stores, wildlife associations, zoos, and youtube would be better outlets and they might respond beter to something toned down a bit (comparing this to burning alive or an out-of-control fire tends to be dismissed.)

I wish you luck if you try those things, but trying to push this thread as something genocidal doesn't belong here.

you can make your on comment on this topic so that your sugestions on this topic sound correct no matter how good any member on this forum posts is for hybrids all what I say is a out of control fire is a devastating one. many years ago people also have their on sugestions on controlling nature and all end up in disaster and so on with hybriding pheasants I stick with my findings on this topics Like I say if you do it in your private time no problem but the problem is when you share it people does not think like you do in a matter I can say you have mind of caring but who says other does you can t make that 100 % statement so why share it if you can keep it and the species will be safe

My statement is fine. Telling other places without screaming or insulting peoplevand giving real solutions most people can do is a huge help. It's accurate to say people come here to learn and are already prepared for research, but most people in the world don't come here. It's accurate to recommend you present yourself to more helpful places as someone very serious, not just someone angry. It's accurate to say reaching out to people politely has a bigger impact than just getting mad

I'm honestly wondering why you haven't tried those places before and don't regularly work with them. It's how the urban farming movement took off in my state, promoted consrvation where I used to live, and is recommende by zoos and ads by wildlife associations.

Quote: I've noticed some confusion on what is a hybrid and what is a mutation.

A hybrid is basically the genetic crossing of two dissimilar genus/species.
hy·brid

[hahy-brid] Show IPA
noun
the
offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.

A mutation is the naturally genetic changes that can casue differences in appearance, habits, ect. (take the various speices on the Galapagos. They have mutated to adapt to the harsh surrounds. Over eons these mutations become set and a new species has evolved. Ya'll have heard of evolution I'm sure)

mu·ta·tion

[myoo-tey-shuh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
n]
noun
Biology .
a.
a sudden departure from the parent type in one or more heritable characteristics, caused by a change in a gene or a chromosome.
b.
an
individual, species, or the like, resulting from such a departure.

Hybrid species generally come from the whims of man. He wants to enhance, beautify or just see if it can be done. Occasionaly a "natural" hybrid occurs but this is few and far between.

Some examples of man's intervention: Horse and donkey to get stronger working animal. Buffalo and beef cattle to get leaner meat. Get the picture.

The mentioned color mutations of the red golden in general have come from the careful saving and breeding of mutated color birds. These are generally refered to as "sports". A good example here are the various colrs or "sports" that keepers of cortunix and button quails have developed. They even call them "sports". Eventually "sports" will breed true and the we have peach goldens, yellow goldens, ect. With the exception of the gene that carries the coloration, they are geneticically the sameaso all members of the red goldens.

Maybe this will shed a lil lite on the subject.

In my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING to be added to this thread except more hybrid pics from here on. I personally wish it was locked now. Everyone that favors pure species should stay away from this thread totally. We have brought up great points on the side of conservation of these rare species. Let the ones that favor the hybrids continue this discussion.Buy birds off of them. To continue to beating this dead horse is obviously futile here. Last post here for me so I dont join my fellow buddies that have been banned for caring about pure species. I think yall all know how I feel now. Shawn

In my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING to be added to this thread except more hybrid pics from here on. I personally wish it was locked now. Everyone that favors pure species should stay away from this thread totally. We have brought up great points on the side of conservation of these rare species. Let the ones that favor the hybrids continue this discussion.Buy birds off of them. To continue to beating this dead horse is obviously futile here. Last post here for me so I dont join my fellow buddies that have been banned for caring about pure species. I think yall all know how I feel now. Shawn
I'd hate to see this locked just because someone was angry the birds existed. It's a good thread to discuss a hobby that in no way insinuates hate, cruelty, or desire to kill or make something go extinct without the hobbyist explicitly saying so (haven't seen any comments like that).

I enjoy these pictures and would love to see more, perhaps discuss the genetics of each bird and even the reason why two hybrids form the same breed of parents are different.

In my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING to be added to this thread except more hybrid pics from here on. I personally wish it was locked now. Everyone that favors pure species should stay away from this thread totally.  We have brought up great points on the side of conservation of these rare species. Let the ones that favor  the hybrids continue this discussion.Buy birds off of them. To continue to beating this dead horse is obviously futile here. Last post here for me so I dont join my fellow buddies that have been banned for caring about pure species. I think yall all know how I feel now.  Shawn

this is also my last post on this thread shawn you have a good point there the word is out there no use to beat the dead horse here...

I've never had pheasants before which is why I asked. People with an attitude like yours discourage someone like me from wanting them. Most people want a bird for COLOR, but there are people out there who breed birds to preserve the standard.

And actually, yes the first pheasants I saw were crossbreeds and they were hideously ugly. Which is why I looked into different pheasants in the first place.

Tell me what do you know about Lemurs? I work with them and know all to well about breeding to preserve, but we still are forced to crossbreed sometimes for one reason or another.

You need an attitude adjustment. And I refuse to argue with you further and risk this person's thread being closed.

I don't have an attitude at all.I have been raising and preserving these birds for years with hopes that others will follow.Most people just don't get how fast you can wipe out a species.One year of crossbreeding will wipe out 7 generations of pure birds,just 1 season.

In N.H.,Tony.

I've never had pheasants before which is why I asked. People with an attitude like yours discourage someone like me from wanting them. Most people want a bird for COLOR, but there are people out there who breed birds to preserve the standard.

And actually, yes the first pheasants I saw were crossbreeds and they were hideously ugly. Which is why I looked into different pheasants in the first place.

Tell me what do you know about Lemurs? I work with them and know all to well about breeding to preserve, but we still are forced to crossbreed sometimes for one reason or another.

You need an attitude adjustment. And I refuse to argue with you further and risk this person's thread being closed.

I don't have an attitude at all.I have been raising and preserving these birds for years with hopes that others will follow.Most people just don't get how fast you can wipe out a species.One year of crossbreeding will wipe out 7 generations of pure birds,just 1 season.

In N.H.,Tony.

In N.H.,Tony.

In N.H.,Tony.

tony kt i would like to get pure blood birds but as you said they are getting hard to find.Do you sell any of your birds. I recently bought some red goldens just to find out they are related, but that is easier fixed than cross-breeding. I dont like crosses because the birds are already beautiful and their natural form is the prettiest.
I even try to stay away from the golden crosses except the gigi pheasant. Truly a bird of beauty.

I

Back
Top Bottom