Hybridizing is NOT a good idea!

Classroom Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
I've been seeing a lot of posts lately on breeding hybrid quail, and I decided to just put this out there. In my opinion, hybrids should not be bred unless you have a clear scientific reason to do so. They're hard to breed, and often you'll end up with a lot of dead quail. For example, when trying to make a coturnix and a bobwhite breed, the bobwhite will probably kill the coturnix. Keep in mind that bobs are kept in pairs and coturnix are kept in harems! Plus, bobwhites take a lot longer to mature. I also saw someone mention they wanted to breed a female button to a coturnix male. The size difference is a huge issue, not to mention buttons are in the Turnicidae family as opposed to the Phasianidae family. Even if you do manage to breed a hybrid quail (which is highly unlikely and not a good idea), it may be very fragile, may be infertile and may have the wrong characteristics entirely. Unless you have a clear scientific reason, why do something so risky? Curiosity killed the cat (or, in this case, quail). With all the quail species available, there's no reason to make a new one.

Last edited:
I think it is more pragmatic to understand that this site it comprised of people who are not professional bird breeders. We shouldn't fault people for asking questions. Instead we should encourage them to critically think about the question that they asked, and maybe search before they post.

I fully agree that one should not indiscriminately breed birds, and one should educate oneself to the fullest extent to achieve ones breeding goals. I also believe it is great that people are curious about what happens when your breed two birds, but unfortunately there is no simple answer, and the costs to achieve these results should be carefully weighed.

It is important to share with people the realities of interspecies breeding, but also to recognize that hybridization is a natural phenomonon (Neanderthal and Homosapiens: http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...rawling-with-Neanderthal-genes-say-scientists), Simply gathering the torches and pitch forks and making blanket statements because people do things differently than normal creates an environment of a guarded nature, rather than one where we can learn from each other. I think it is better to convey that simply crossing two different species on a whim does not typically produce something cute, useful, fertile, or healthy, and it can have a lasting impact if those genes get passed back into the general population of either species.

I understand what you are saying, but I simply wanted to put this out there so people wouldn't have to make posts asking about hybrids, as they seem to be getting more frequent. If they still had questions after reading this, then there's no reason not to ask.

Back
Top Bottom