Hygrometer salt test question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Alright so I just got done testing them but to make sure I am going to explain what I did to make sure I did it right. What I did was I got non Iodide salt covered the bottom of a bowl and added water so that it was the consistency of wet sand. Is this right? Last time I did this with some really cheap hygrometers I used like 1/3 cup of salt.

Hygrometer readings after about a day

New 66%
    Old is 62%

So I know I am supposed to add to each

New 66+9 to equal 75 (so keep it at 26%-31%) right? for lock down 51%-56%

Old 62+13 to equal 75 (so keep this one at 22%-27%) Right? for lock down 47%-52%

Let me know if I am mistaken on any of these. Thanks

2. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    I'm no expert but that sounds right, that's how it was explained to me.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok thanks I hope some more people chime in just so I am for sure. Thanks for your input

4. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I tried to find the post and link from rebelcowboysnb, but could not find it. It has the info you need. I am needing it also. Calibrating mine today. Had to go buy a new one. Bought one for reptiles at petland. The other one was an accu-rite thermo/hygro combination and I tested it with 3 different tests and it came out 3 diff readings. I think the salt test was the best as the new one is at 72-73%. The old one read 64-65%. I still have a couple of hours left to test. But I think you are correct in your understanding. That was the way I thought it to be, anyway. This will bump this and maybe someone else with more knowledge will respond. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by